Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 04-10-2018, 02:50 PM

Default MIDI keyboard and AUDIO sound issue

Hi,

I am writing to you about a MIDI keyboard issue and and recently an AUDIO sound issue.

For a month I had no signal coming from my MIDI keyboard when I try to record with MIDI, and now I hear nothing at all.

I see there is no light beside MIDI (on my focusrite) when I play on my Kawai ES1 keyboard, and nothing comes out when I record with MIDI track activated… Audio was working (when I clicked the virtual keyboard on the Pro Tools tracks with my computer mouse, sound could come out from the virtual instrument I assigned, and MIDI work with that)… but recently no sound comes out...yet the USB light is green…

My E/S settings:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ma...oSKHgt81dvEbF0

I checked my MIDI in and out in settings and on my Peripheral devices, I see MIDI in and MIDI out logo, but when I unplug my keyboard it remains like that…maybe I do not look at the right place to find the solution for my keyboard peripheral device... In Sounds parameters…everything is supposed to work with my focusrite…sound is coming out (and when I test I see something move on the meter) , but when I play with my keyboard nothing appears… I do not know what to do…

I also have an error message appearing every 2 seconds, but I had this before the problem appears...

The error message: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oy...ddMZGTmD6DWo0O

Sound test: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Z0...xhpDHpv8npIcgw

Help would be very appreciated!!
Thank you,

Ariane
Old 04-10-2018, 03:03 PM

Default Re: MIDI keyboard and AUDIO sound issue

Rather than use a MIDI track, set up an Instrument Track and insert your virtual instrument plugin on that track. Record enable the instrument track. There is no real reason to use a MIDI track (in most cases), which also requires you to set up an AUX track and route the output of the MIDI track to the AUX track to be able to hear audio.

As for the error message, I have no idea what that is.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:18 PM

On the Pro Tools Edit screen, open the Setup menu and check the "Hardware" and make sure your Focusrite is the interface selected. It may have somehow defaulted to some other setting. That might be part of the issue.

Another test: Open an instrument track, instantiate a virtual instrument on it and then manually draw in a couple measures of MIDI notes and play them back. You should hear sound. If not, there's a problem with your audio routing somewhere.

Also, set up the instrument track with an instrument, record arm it, and then play your MIDI keyboard. You should hear the instrument.

Not sure what else to suggest.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:19 PM

DonaldM may have hit the "no sound" issue. Back to the midi issue, assuming you are on Windows, and assuming the keyboard is connected with standard MIDI cables(see why details matter). Nothing will work unless the midi controller is configured. Open Pro Tools and go to Setup>Midi>Midi Studio. Create a new "instrument"(your keyboard). Name it whatever makes sense. Brand and model are optional(those 2 details don't matter). The crucial setting here is the midi input path. Assuming a midi cable from the keyboard's midi OUT to the focusrite midi IN, the proper input path would be something like Focusrite Midi In[Emulated]. It could be a bit different, but the proper choice SHOULD be available in the little drop-down menu. Leave all 16 midi channels in blue. As for a midi output path, you don't need one unless you wish to use sounds in the keyboard(if it has any internal sounds). Otherwise, you can ignore the output setup.

I also agree that instead of using MIDI tracks,(at least for now), just create a stereo Instrument track and insert your VI of choice in the top slot(MiniGrand is a good choice for testing). You also may want to set your MIX window to show "Instruments", which is actually midi routing. By default, Instrument tracks will receive on all 16 midi channels, BUT, often if you change the plugin, the routing will not automatically reset for the new plugin(having the routing show makes it easy to see as a bad path will be grey'd out).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave