Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2009, 03:03 PM

Default Auro write to all enabled parameters - how with d control?

Hello
when i am pre mixing dialogs i awfull often have to write eq and dynamic automation on parts of the dialog (sometimes i feel like framewise...).
i am used to mix with a d command - on that console i finde the convinient button in the automatin section "write to all enabeld parameters", so i just select (make it black) the audio - set the parameters - and hit the button - done.
if i pass that section, in lets say latch mode, the parameters pop on just as i have set them before.

i just started a mix on a d control where suprisingly i dont find that buttom anymore (in the automation section).
I can write automation to end / start / current / all - but not to the enabled parameters (whith the automatin section buttons on d control)
if i write to current, which should be ok - i always get an auto write warning, which i have to confirm (this is unconfortable), then it works, if i supress the warning (in prefs) i does not work ...
the way i do it now is alway to press alt/apple and backslash on the nummeric keyboard which is really unconfortabel.
maby anyone works kind of the same way and can help me to find a way to write automatin to just the selected audio.
i stuck in the mix and if anyone can help me it would br great.
thanks a lot
cheers
martin
Old 03-14-2009, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Auro write to all enabled parameters - how with d control?

Hey Martin,

You may benefit from watching some of my video tutes on automation with ICON.
http://brentheber.com/2008/08/01/you...tion-to-where/
http://brentheber.com/2008/07/17/aut...atch-autowhat/
http://brentheber.com/2009/01/08/sna...ion-with-icon/

Those should show you some intuitive ways of doing similar post workflows. Particularly "Preview" mode with "Write to all" - perfect for scene based/selection based automation writing.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:28 AM

Hi Brent

thanks for your reply.
I enjoyed watching your video tutorials - loads of helpfull input.
thank you !!

i guess will not be happy with the selection based "write to all" command because in my session i have a lot of tracks already prepared with automation data (for example - sounddesign/previous mix passes) - so when i hit the "write to all" i write autodata to all tracks in the session within the selction. the selection sets the boundaries in the timeline.
that would crash my existing auto data
or did i understand it wrong?

I want to write to the selection only..
I will give a try on monday.

unfortunatly i never had time to find out about preview mode ..

thanks one more time
cheers
Martin
Old 03-16-2009, 07:56 PM

they got rid of that button and changed its behavior to something else in one of the firmware upgrades. they even sent us new stickers to overlay onto that section. frustrating indeed. we used that button all the time.

your best bet is probably to assign it to the first page of user-assignable soft-keys screens. i just got used to the keyboard shortcut.

preview mode is really great too but i don't find it to be very useful on dialog because there is more stopping and starting.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:14 PM

But the whole idea of preview mode is so that your auto stays in its state when you loop your playback selection - Im confused by your statement that it incurs more starting and stopping??
Old 03-30-2009, 10:14 AM

sorry, maybe that's not clear.

it's more that i find that we are changing a lot of parameters over a shorter period of time. within just a few words, there may be several plugin moves and specific fader moves. if i want to apply my preview settings as a starting point, it would require one realtime pass over the section we are working on. and if i was hitting punch preview everytime i inititated playback, then i could be overwriting some of those moves. we find it faster to get a setting with automation suspended, apply the setting with the write-to-all-enabled command, and then automate to refine.

it's just a personal preference for the way we're working here.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:38 PM

Gotcha!