Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 07:27 PM

Default PT 7 Upgrade. Am I reading this right?

Am I reading this right?

================================================== ==================================================
"More Power to Create
The Pro Tools HD 7 Software Standard Upgrade is available for $175 USD; the Pro Tools LE 7 Software Standard Upgrade is available for $75 USD. But for just a little more money, you can add two powerful plug-ins and dramatically improve the creative power of your Pro Tools environment. Pro Tools 7 Software Upgrade PLUS plug-ins include some of the very best dynamics, EQ, noise reduction, reverb (for Pro Tools HD 7 software), and unique sound creation tools available for Pro Tools systems.

The Upgrade PLUS options are available only until December 20, 2005.

Pro Tools HD 7 Software Upgrade PLUS: $245 USD
Upgrade to Pro Tools HD 7 software and receive authorizations for any two of the following plug-ins:

* DINR™
* ReVibe™
* Pultec Bundle
* Smack!™ TDM
* Slightly Rude Compressor™
* Synchronic™
"
================================================== ==================================================
Okay, I've got Smack & Rude Compressor.
Since when Did DINR get reinstated. I thought it was out of here.
If it does work with PT 7 on an HD Accel sysmtem would it be cool to have? I have no noise reduction software on my Mac.
Revibe gets me excited! Although I have TL Space TDM.
Synchronic seems cool but, I've got Live 4.

HHHMMMM what to do?

Pitch your 2 cents in please.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:56 AM

Default Re: PT 7 Upgrade. Am I reading this right?

DINR does work with HD Accel, and it's well worth having. As long as a good noise sample is obtained, parameters are tweaked carefully, and artifacts are checked for and eliminated when found (warbling "birdies" effect, slight HF dulling), it can do an outstanding job of reducing noise quite painlessly, especially fixed-state noise like tape hiss or instrument/amp buzz. It is much harder, sometimes impossible to remove shifting-state noise though (vehicle traffic noise is one example). The best result with these kinds of noises is usually accomplished piecemeal, which can get *very* time consuming.

I was also told quite some time ago by a Digi salesperson that DINR had been discontinued, and a very pricy upgrade deal was offered to Sonic NoNoise, which I declined at the time. It appears that since then, Digi has resurrected DINR and offers it for sale again. Probably had the same kind of trouble selling the upgrade to others as they did to me. I was pretty ticked at the Sonic pricing considering that DINR had cost me about $850 in the first plaace.

As a (near) freebie with the PT7 upgrade DINR's a great deal. I think I'm going for the ReVibe and Slightly Rude Comp myself as I have pretty much all the others they're offering already.

Ted Spencer, NYC
www.tedspencerrecording
Old 10-14-2005, 03:20 PM

Thanks Ted. I'm thinking Revibe & DINR.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:12 PM

Hi Kickit,

I would try DINR before decidiong on that upgrade. I have DINR and Waves Restoration. I think that Restoration is much better. In fact, I don't even put DINR in my system anymore. Sony has another noise reduction plug in also. I would demo all of them and decide what you like. For me Waves Restoration cleaned up the audio superbly without leaving behind digital artifacts. DINR had a problem doing the job to my satisfaction. If you are unhappy with Waves because of their WUP, try the Sony. But, again, in my opinion, Waves Restoration takes the cake.

Steve