Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-04-2003, 09:02 AM

Default Which drum sampler? Battery, stylus, what?

Need a drum sampler quick, before I was thinking either battery or kontakt. I`ve heard a lot of good things about stylus - Groove control and coming with a huge sample library. But the thing about battery is that you can assign individual tracks and run them through plugins, not sure if stylus lets you do that though. And stylus, you cant bring different samples in. So it`s between battery and stylus now. What does everybody use? And which one would you choose out of these two?
Old 10-04-2003, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Which drum sampler? Battery, stylus, what?

Reason with Drum Kit From Hell. Stylus is great, but it's really not for programming your own beats, it's just a bunch of vinylized loops.
Old 10-04-2003, 08:14 PM

I am getting Stylus (and Trilogy) in the mail today.

I'd also be interested if anyone has used Culture from Yellow Tools.

Keyboard Mag gave this an unbeleivably high rating. As I do a lot of ethnic music, I tried to order it from Sweetwater, and nobody there had heard of it. So I thought I better wait. Have never heard it mentioned anywhere.

Anyone use it?
2xMacPro 2.66,002r,OSX 10.4.10,PT 7.4cs8
3xVisionDaw,NI Komplete,Yamaha 01V/96
Old 10-04-2003, 08:27 PM

as has been mentioned, Stylus is not a drum sampler.

the only option right now for work WITHIN PT is Reason. you have NN-XT and REDRUM. ...well, i guess then MachFIVE might be considered an option?....

Culture does not include 'normal' drums. only ethnic percussion and such along those lines. i read the review too, i imagine it's great for what it does thou. have not tried it though.

Battery will be another option, but it is not yet RTAS ready. although NI's site says it will be out this month for RTAS, don't be suprised if it isn't til December or the new year before it comes out.
Old 10-05-2003, 06:50 AM

Battery is cool, but it's not RTAS yet. Yep, Stylus has its own dedicated samples. What kind of drums are you doing? Rock or Rap beats? For Rap beats get Reason and download and grab all the refills you can! For Rock Reasons good too with DFH I with the Add-on pack.
Or if your making Rock drums and can wait till 1st quarter 2004 for DFH II(VSTi first RTAS soon to follow) it'll have 25GIGS...of samples and it's own sampler (Powered Plug-in).
46 Cymbals
11 Snares
5 Kickdrums
5 sets of Toms (totally 19 Toms)
A massive MEINL percussion kit
A Yamaha Cocktail drumkit
WOW!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Dubaifox....Trilogy DESTROYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome!
Old 10-05-2003, 07:24 AM

Yes, Battery is scheduled for OSX RTAS this month and is/will be/ the ONLY RTAS drum sampler except the more powerfull Mach5 (when it comes out eventually and drains your power no end) and Kontakt
which is a KILLER.
Reason is only haywire, ahh mean, rewire plug-in and RTAS means 0.ZERO latency.
With Sytlus or that dreaded Sampletank you are stuck with the samples supplied (alone the software policy: you have to pay $400+ for some highgrade features like aiff/wav import!)

best
Old 10-05-2003, 08:11 AM

Stylus was my worst purchase to date. I never use it anymore, you'll grow tired of the sounds rather quickly if they're the only ones you have in your arsenal. Reason's samplers, Mach5, Battery, Kontakt, some of these will be RTAS by year's end, so options will abound. Anything you can load your own wav/aif files in is a better option, imo.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Yes, Battery is scheduled for OSX RTAS this month and is/will be/ the ONLY RTAS drum sampler except the more powerfull Mach5 (when it comes out eventually and drains your power no end) and Kontakt
which is a KILLER.
um, you do know that MachFIVE has been out for a while now....

Kontakt is scheduled for RTAS release this month, and probably will actually come out this month. Battery is later on their list, so it'd be a suprise if it came out this month.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:34 AM

Slim,

How intuitive is it to program drum patterns with Reason? I just need a good RTAS compatible application so I can build drum patterns (or play loops) within ProTools. Does Reason provide a "stereo mix" of the drums that can be brought into a stereo track in ProTools, or do you export your audio to a sound file and import it into ProTools? Does Reason remember the samples that you're working with, or do you have to reload them when you open up a song file? I really don't want to work outside of ProTools, but maybe once I do it, the process won't be hard.

I've been waiting for Battery, but wonder if its a product worth investing in (super slow development, lack of upgrades).

thanks for any info you can offer,
Dave

Quote:
Reason with Drum Kit From Hell. Stylus is great, but it's really not for programming your own beats, it's just a bunch of vinylized loops.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:41 AM

PlugSound vol 3, no loops but tons of kits and other good samples, much better sounding then Stylus. More natural rather then over compressed Stylus loops.

www.plugsound.com

cheers