Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2003, 06:08 PM

Default Loud white noise

I get an unexpected blast of very loud white noise on playback after I've been editing for a while. All channels shoot into the yellow on the VU meters. It's intermitant. If I go back and start from a different place in the track, sometimes it doesn't happen. Sometimes it will be playing along fine and then it comes to a place in the track that I've edited and POW - the noise kicks in. I'm using a Powerbook with lots of memory with a Firelight drive with an Mbox. I just upgraded to Protools 6.01 and things are more stable, but this loud noise thing still happens. So far it doesn't seem to damage the file.

Any help on this? I read the topics and I see that this sort of thing happens with Wave - but as far as I know, I don't have this.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:13 PM
Avid

Default Re: Loud white noise

Bob,

How is your Firewire drive formatted?

Make sure all of your drives are formatted with Disk Utility in OS X as HFS+ volumes. If the drive was originally formatted in OS 9 or with onther utility you should backup and reinitialize the drive and give it a try.

Mike
Old 07-15-2003, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DigiTechSupt:
Bob,

Make sure all of your drives are formatted with Disk Utility in OS X as HFS+ volumes. If the drive was originally formatted in OS 9 or with onther utility you should backup and reinitialize the drive and give it a try.

Mike
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 07-15-2003, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Danziger:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by DigiTechSupt:
Bob,

Mike
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 07-15-2003, 06:23 PM

Thanks Mike, I'm not sure how my FireLite is set up but I'll check it out right away.

Bob D
Old 07-16-2003, 05:02 AM

Your FireLite will not work with ProTools 6/OSX. It does not meet the requrements for an audio drive as it's only 4200 RPM and has no Oxford 911 chipset in the interface. I used to use mine with OS9/ProTools 5.2 but had the same problems with OSX/ProTools 6. Buy a qualified drive and you'll be all set. Your drive needs to be at least 5400rpm, preferrably 7200rpm, and must have the Oxford 911 chipset in the interface. A cool bus powered drive that qualifies can be found here:
http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_It...=OWCMOFW60GB72
I'll be gettin one of these suckers as soon as I sell my FireLite. Cheaper firwwire drives that qualify can be found all over. I also just bought one of these and it works great so far:
http://aicmicro.com/productdetail.asp?id=10129
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS
Old 11-01-2003, 07:40 AM

hi , i've just installed OS X and ProTools 6.1.2 this week and have experienced the intermittent white noise blast (as it's being referred to). This did not happen in OS 9.2 with ProTools 5.3. My first inclination was to suspect that it was lack of RAM. However, upon recently seeing the plethora of posts about this problem for the last year or more, it seems we have a much more elusive problem. Considering that I just finished talking to the people at WAVES, who pleaded ignorance about any possible conflicts between their plug-ins and OS X, they are either extremely ill-informed or they are lying.

I have reformatted my recording and operating drive but I have not reformatted my firewire drive which I use for storage only. Does anyone know: Is having the firewire drive connected or pulling old sessions off the firewire drive and re-saving them on the reformatted drives going to be problematic (i.e. create the white noise glitch)? Is the problem having the 9.2 drivers anywhere near a session? Will more RAM help? I'm running 1 gig on a 867 MHz machine (dual processor G4 LE 002). I have the basic Renaissance reverb/compressor/EQ.
--Kev

Old 11-01-2003, 08:59 AM

This happened to me the other night when I went into Standalone mode?

Had to reboot the Digi 002.

SG
Old 11-01-2003, 02:04 PM

are you thinking that the problem might be with the 002?
Old 11-01-2003, 06:04 PM

Robert,

It is possible you may have the older version Waves shell - I'd check with them again (may be a new guy), I ran into the noise bursts using Waves after going to v4 & OSX... they also have the most recent shell on their webpage for download if you wan't to skip the call.

Good luck!

HH