Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2014, 06:09 AM

Default Focusrite 2i4 question

Hi. Has anyone using the 2i4 experienced a hi frequency boost when recording vocals? I use Shure KSM27 & 44 mics for vocals and have not had this problem with my old I/O. It almost makes using a de-esser plug in mandatory. Any comments are welcome. Thanks.

Last edited by Terry Wetzel; 01-18-2014 at 06:09 AM. Reason: typing mistake
Old 01-19-2014, 11:33 PM

Default Re: Focusrite 2i4 question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
Hi. Has anyone using the 2i4 experienced a hi frequency boost when recording vocals? I use Shure KSM27 & 44 mics for vocals and have not had this problem with my old I/O. It almost makes using a de-esser plug in mandatory. Any comments are welcome. Thanks.
Hi, A couple of things to check - do you have any Hi Pass Filters engaged on the mics? Have you tired a different cable? Does it happen on both preamps?

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 01-23-2014, 06:04 AM

Thanks for responding cwsand and I'm sorry I took a while getting back to this post. I sometimes put a high or low pass plug on the vocal track but as far as I can recall only in the mixing stage. I'll switch cables but I'm sure the one I'm using is ok since I use it for instruments as well as vocals. I generally use input #1 on the 2i4 since I only record one track at a time.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
Thanks for responding cwsand and I'm sorry I took a while getting back to this post. I sometimes put a high or low pass plug on the vocal track but as far as I can recall only in the mixing stage. I'll switch cables but I'm sure the one I'm using is ok since I use it for instruments as well as vocals. I generally use input #1 on the 2i4 since I only record one track at a time.
I have a KSM44 - nice mic! Try it on another interface and make sure it's still ok. Just a matter of narrowing down what's causing the brightness but it sounds like the 2i4 is the culprit. Not sure if it's defective or just the way it sounds though.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 02-06-2014, 03:04 PM
Focusrite

It sounds like this would be best tested with a Signal Generator.

Try using a TRS cable to loop from the Output 2 to Input 1. Make SURE Direct Monitor is set to Stereo to avoid feedback. Also best to set the Direct Monitor Knob all the way to Playback.

In Pro Tools send out Pink or White Noise. Monitor it's return on another channel, with No Outputs set.

Does the Frequency response change on the return?

If you are concerned the unit has a hardware fault please feel welcome to contact us directly: http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/contact

Best regards.

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/
Old 02-10-2014, 06:11 AM

Katherine_Focusrite. Thanks. Although your instructions are a little too advanced for me, (I'm not sure where I need to go to find pink/white noise generation in PT's). The problem seems to have been the addition of high & low pass eq. I have been used to using them prior to purchasing the 2i4. I guess the combination of Focusrite's great pres and my aging high frequency responses were the problem.