Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2023, 09:35 PM

Default PT 2022 "can't bounce files..is not an audio playback volume" help request

PT 2022
Mac OSX 12.61

All PT sessions are on external SSD
I have a new SSD (same make etc as my others) and have ensured it is a read-write volume with ALL users having RW access. I have gone into workspace and ensured the letter R is present for the drive.

I have made ZERO changes to ANYTHING. This error is one of those "hello I'm pro tools and I'm magically deciding to do this now, despite the fact that you have changed literally nothing about how you do things ok bye" errors.

PT *still* tells me "can't create bounce files because [disk name] is not an audio playback volume".

Which is a lie, because it provably *is*.

Any help for how to fix this error would be appreciated.

Have searched the DUC and searched DUC via google. All results were 5+ years old.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-05-13 at 2.27.28 pm.jpg (20.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-05-13 at 2.27.00 pm.jpg (21.2 KB, 0 views)
Monterey 12.6.1
Presonus Quantum 2 (Thunderbolt)
Old 05-13-2023, 12:08 AM

Default Re: PT 2022 "can't bounce files..is not an audio playback volume" help request

I don't know what you are describing exactly or what you are showing with those screen shots.

How about describing stuff super *clearly*.

You are running Pro Tools 2022.what? On what Mac?

What *exactly* are you doing? You moved a session to this new drive? Left the sessions where they were and tried to bounce to the new drive? What was the exact directory/folder you are trying to work with, give their full paths. Does other stuff work OK? If you bounce to the session folder it works OK? If you bounce to /tmp on the boot drive does that work OK? to /Users/<youruser>?

The volume name in both screenshots is different. What is up with that? Make sure there are no funky unusual characters in that name... e.g. unicode characters that look like standard ASCII characters? Just try renaming it. And name it with no spaces just to make typing it easier and avoiding the need to escape/quote the name, which may get you into some problems at times.

What exact make/model SSD. What filesystem is on it?

How exactly have you ensured all users have RW permission. Say show us the output of ls -l on the root of the volume and the output of the mount command.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-13-2023 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-13-2023, 04:32 AM

Default Re: PT 2022 "can't bounce files..is not an audio playback volume" help request

Daryl.

"On what Mac?"

Quote from my signature as it appears above: "2017 iMac Pro SSD 32GB 2666 MHz DDR4"

"The volume name in both screenshots is different."

Ah! Well spotted! That explains it. The screen shot shows the error message refers to the old drive that the session used to be on.

In checking this, as a result of your reply, I realised that the PT session, at the output stage, was still referencing the drive the session used to be on (which was not connected) and not the new drive I was using. So all I had to do was go into the bounce file pathway and select the connected drive. Whilst it seems strange that that would happen, there's a logic to it (I guess) and the problem is now not a problem.

So, thanks for pointing out the discrepancy in drive name between screenshots.

Cheers!

DUC forever.
Monterey 12.6.1
Presonus Quantum 2 (Thunderbolt)