Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2012, 12:01 PM

Default Waves Will NOT Be Supporting AAX-DSP!!!

I sent an email to Waves today inquiring about any possible progress in supporting AAX DSP, and I received an email from the Customer Support Manager with a definitive answer.

Waves will not be supporting AAX DSP!
Old 06-21-2012, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Waves Will NOT Be Supporting AAX-DSP!!!

Looks like Waves has gone from the definitive developer for professional audio to a consumer level outfit.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:40 PM

It looks likes i will never buy a Waves product again!
http://immersivesoundvr.com/
Old 06-21-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The golfer View Post
It looks likes i will never buy a Waves product again!
+1 if this is true....
Old 06-21-2012, 02:19 PM

Bummer. Waves will regret this in the long run.

J.

AVID Certified Instructor
Old 06-21-2012, 02:25 PM

As a long-time Waves supporter and Mercury bundle user, this makes me very unhappy. I have been using the plug-ins as RTAS on my HDX rig and it's been going fine. However, I would love to use the full capacity of my system and I would like Waves to live up to their own marketing hype.

From http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=9416&l=4

Quote:
"You get the latest Waves versions, which means total compatibility with all major audio hosts and operating systems. And with your authorized iLok, you can move between Mac and PC, from Pro Tools to Logic to Nuendo and beyond—and back again."
Old 06-21-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the glass is half empty View Post
As a long-time Waves supporter and Mercury bundle user, this makes me very unhappy. I have been using the plug-ins as RTAS on my HDX rig and it's been going fine. However, I would love to use the full capacity of my system and I would like Waves to live up to their own marketing hype.

From http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=9416&l=4
Yes well read it carefully.

It says that waves will uphold the upgrade of their plugins for compatible daws. Once PT drops tdm, it nullifies the wup for dsp plugins as PT will no longer be compatible.

Here

Quote:
Waves Update Plan Policy

All Waves purchases and upgrades include one full year of Waves Update Plan coverage.

With current Waves Update Plan coverage, you receive all updates and benefits at no additional cost.

Renew your coverage only when you want to. You don’t have to renew it every year.

No matter how many non-overlapping products you own or how long their coverage has been inactive - you'll never pay more than $200 per account to re-activate your coverage for one full year, starting today. For overlapping or identical products, the cap is $200 per bundle to re-activate your coverage for one full year, starting today. Read more.

Your current plugins will always work on a compatible DAW, even after your Waves Update Plan coverage has expired.

For every dollar you spend on Waves Update Plan coverage, you’ll get credit toward the purchase of any product or upgrade (up to 50% toward the MSRP of any bundle or upgrade, or up to 25% toward the MSRP of any plugin, after all applicable discounts.)

Renew your Waves Update Plan coverage and get Waves V9

Wave-T.com
Old 06-21-2012, 03:23 PM

Did they say why not? Seems a little crazy to throw away your richest customers.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Yes well read it carefully.

It says that waves will uphold the upgrade of their plugins for compatible daws. Once PT drops tdm, it nullifies the wup for dsp plugins as PT will no longer be compatible.

Here
The #1 bullet point item for WUP marketing says, "total compatibility with all major audio hosts and operating systems". This leads WUP purchasers to believe that their Waves investment will continue to be supported as they continue to pay for WUP.

So what is the definition of "major audio host"? Does a Pro Tools HDX system not fall into this category?

In my mind "total compatibility" means that if I use Pro Tools HDX, I can use AAX-DSP versions of Waves plug-ins. If I am limited to RTAS or AAX-Native, then this is "partial compatibility".

Waves cannot continue to use "total compatibility" and "all major audio hosts" as selling points when they refuse to support AAX-DSP.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairl View Post
The #1 bullet point item for WUP marketing says, "total compatibility with all major audio hosts and operating systems". This leads WUP purchasers to believe that their Waves investment will continue to be supported as they continue to pay for WUP.

So what is the definition of "major audio host"? Does a Pro Tools HDX system not fall into this category?

In my mind "total compatibility" means that if I use Pro Tools HDX, I can use AAX-DSP versions of Waves plug-ins. If I am limited to RTAS or AAX-Native, then this is "partial compatibility".

Waves cannot continue to use "total compatibility" and "all major audio hosts" as a selling point when they refuse to support AAX-DSP.
An add never takes precedences on the policies ..ie small prints on the add. And in this case they can, if they do not make dsp solutions anymore, they can claim that it's for the aax native only. HDX is not the daw, it's a gear. The DAW itself can use native or DSP. Not rooting for them or anything, just pointing out that they have always backed themselves legally.

Wave-T.com