Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2002, 08:49 AM

Default HELP!!?? I need to conform a stereo loop to a freestlye track.

My dilemma,

I have a track of a full band, recorded without a click. We were setting up to start mixing, now the band wants to add a drum loop to a 16 bar section in the middle of the song. This is a spot where the drums drop out and the bass plays a riff with the drummer plinking the bells of the cymbals, and the gtr player adds ambient noise. Then it kicks into the full beat after the 16 bars.

ANYWAY, they want to add this loop their programmer buddy made for them.
LOOP is the wrong word. It is actually a double time beat, that doesn't loop. (each measure of the loop is a bit different from the previous measure)

QUESTION....
How can I conform the 2-track beat (imported of a CD) to the song that drifts in tempo?

Thanks,
Old 08-12-2002, 07:39 PM

Default Re: HELP!!?? I need to conform a stereo loop to a freestlye track.

Beat Detective.

1. Analyze the track
2. Generate a tempo map
3. Seperate the loop hits
4. Quantize to the generated tempo map
Old 08-14-2002, 11:32 PM

Default Re: HELP!!?? I need to conform a stereo loop to a freestlye track.

use the above method, but first.....

have a cheesesteak with all your favorite goodies. fried onions....ketchup.......salt...pepper....i dunno

you are relaxed now....very crucial for this studio business

I would conform your existing 16 bars to the new groove. The only way it's possible to make a drum groove "conform" to a looser rhythm section is with a portable Tony Williams or other extremely flexable drumming human.....recorded drums win out in the end every time; if they start deviating from the groove, it starts sounding weak.

Beat detective the bass & percussion; if it's still too free/loose to actually generate a reliable tempo map for the tune, let em go on they're own....drop the loop in with speed or pitch n time as close as you can.... I always find it easier to nudge a couple of bass notes around than to mess with a song's groove.

unleash the power of the cheesesteak...mmmmmmmmmmmm hmmmmmmmmm

T