Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2001, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Opening a session from cd

yes, the only way i can play my burned session is by copying it into the driveand it works. so digi did this as an UPGRADE? that's insane!!!

the whole benefit of cd burning is to save space and back up. i guess i will keep all my tracks on a drive so i don't have to go through the painful task of copying a whole album!

digi please explain your logic behind this "upgrade."
Old 11-06-2001, 08:22 PM

I would say that your CD reader is too slow to keep up with ProTools' file requests. CD's are for archiving. When it's time to make a session, dump the files onto the hard drive and everybody's happy. Hope this helps!
Old 11-06-2001, 09:30 PM

why not just pull it off the cd and save time!!!

i just spent 4 hours copying all the sessions to the drive for a live mix! in 5.0 i could have saved a few hours...
Old 11-06-2001, 10:47 PM

um, am I missing something here? Since when is any CD ROM drive fast enough to run PT sessions? As far as I know, you'd only be able to play a few tracks off of a CD ROM drive, and that's still sketchy.

Of course you must copy the sessions to the hard drive!
Old 11-07-2001, 12:30 AM

Default Opening a session from cd

i got an external hard drive and ever since i have had it i have been unable to open sessions from the cd directly. i have to copy the audio files onto the drive. when i locate an audio file i get a warning that says, the audio file you have selected is not on a valid drive. please see pro tools read me for drive info.

i can't find the pro tools read me folder and i assume if i unmount the external drive it might solve the problem. i have some software (chrismac anibus) that came with the drive but when i select that drive it will not let me dismount it!

has anyone encountered similar problems? your help is appreciated...
Old 11-07-2001, 12:48 AM

Static,

You used to be able to open a session directly from a CD, but not since 5.0. Since you're copying the session to the drive, you shouldn't have a problem though. It sounds like PT is trying to reference the files off the CD, which will give you the error message you're getting.

Other than that, I'm not sure I follow you completely. You did try taking the CD out after copying and before launching the session? Tried copying to the external drive from the Mac's CD-ROM?
Old 11-07-2001, 02:07 AM

Yes, that would make sense. But in the past I could play a session of 8 tracks (PT4.3) right from the CD. It was pretty cool if you JUST WANTED TO LISTEN. Otherwise, it's useless. If you want WORK with it, then of course you must copy it to the drive. I seriously doubt any CD-Rom could play back 24 tracks.

Digidesign recognized that they "took something away" and said they're considering allowing you the option of playing back from CD again in future versions.
Old 11-07-2001, 02:28 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>"i just spent 4 hours copying all the sessions " <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
???!!! Just some fact (from my G4/667):
When copying files from drive to drive, I can get around 100Mb in less than five second. Considering that CD is slower, let's say that you can get 100Mb in 10 sec.
That's 600Mb per minute, 36 Gb an hour,
144 Gb in 4 hours!!
Three possibilities:
#1:you're exagerating,
#2: you're working on EXTREMLY large sessions and are loading 144000/700=205 CD's during your live performance,
#3: you're not working on extremely large sessions but you're using a performa from the 80's !!

Use the drives! Digital Audio Workstation like PT are also called Direct to DISC (not Direct to CD!...).
Old 11-07-2001, 05:36 AM

I'm not sure what "static" has going on here but I'm thinking that he may need a little help in PT session management. Maybe Digi could make a webpage that helps to establish guidelines for making and archiving sessions. There IS alot of room for error with PT file management. Dunno how many sessions I've trashed in the past, mainly because audio files get mishmashed between sessions and lost. It does take awhile to get the hang of what the Digi programmers were thinking, and alot of backing up and hiding of sessions and files.
Old 11-07-2001, 03:25 PM

i'll be very clear. i have a g4/400. when i had v 5.0 i could play a session off of the cd drive. i don't recall if i ever tried a 24 track session.

to mr. t. i'm not exaggerating. consider yourself lucky if you can copy 100mb every 10 sec. i do about 20. i just verified it takes about 5 minuets to copy 600mb. some tracks i'm copying are 2 gigs! do the math...

cash you basically answered my question, thank you. it's a shame i can't pull up sessions like that anymore...