Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 10-16-2008, 10:40 AM

Default How...Create New session with Session Template

We are begining to record our church services using PT-HD. We have our Pro-Tools inputs 107+ mic split from sanctuary. The Pro-Tools session file (icon) is on the desktop; this "template" has all our settings for PT channel inputs(ie.compressor settings,efx etc.) How do I create a new session file folder but use the "template" for the session file; without erasing the session file icon for later use. I want to make sure that all the audio files follow (linked to) the newly recorded service.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:02 AM

Default Re: How...Create New session with Session Template

You may [File/Save a copy as] in a new directory, or Simply save your project as..., in another folder, and verify that every [Setup/Disk Allocation] track is going to your newly made project/directory.
I would also suggest that you put on your template's Read Only attribute by right clicking the PTF file, clicking Properties and selecting the Read Only Option. This will protect the original file from being overwritten. Remember that you will have to remove this Read only option to modify your template.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:03 PM

another way is to apple-I get info on your file.
when the dialogue pops up check the box that says "stationary pad".
then each time you open that session you are prompted whether you want to edit your stationary pad ( template ) or create a new session.

2 important notes...
do not double clic this session icon; it will only copy itself, you need to drag and drop it onto to your pt alias in the dock,
and be sure to set disk allocation once it's open.
b.o.l.
e

e.p.s. it appears all this gets much easier in pt8...
Old 10-18-2008, 10:54 PM

"Import Session data" and tell it to leave the audio behind, or just clear the bin and tell it to "REMOVE" not delete selected. You can prompt it to not put the data in.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:45 PM

I believe both of these were already mentioned, but i'm explaining it in my own qwerky way, to be sure you understand.

If your just trying to have the same tracks, their names, plug ins, and i/o routing there are two ways to do it.

1) You just create your perfect session with no audio in it, and save it. You can call it "template". Then every-time you open a new session, or work with a session someone else created, you can click import session data, find "template" on you hard drive and click "do not import audio" and it will instantly pull in all the settings from "template" into your current file. NOTE: you can do this before, or after the recording is done. However, in your case, it would seem to make sense to do it before, so your tracks re all labeled correctly during recording....

2) The way we do it, is we have a session set up perfectly with all our basic settings saved as Template. Then you go into the get info for that session and clicked stationary pad and lock. Then every-time we start a new session we just open "Template" and because it is a locked stationary pad it will ask, do you want to edit the stationary pad, or start a new session and we click start a new session then it asks for the name, in your case you may call it, "service 10-26-08" then it opens a new session with that name and the settings you have in the template file.

If you ever want to change settings you open "Template" again, but click edit Stationary Pad and it actually opens the template file.

This is what we've done for years in our studios. I think this is the best way to do it. The first way is used mostly when we receive PT sessions from others and are mixing them, then we can easily pull in our favorite "basic" settings and get off o a quicker start with the mix. But if we're initiating the session ourselves, we just open the template and save a new session with the song name...
Hope that helps..

jay riggs

Turn Me Up!™ – Sign Up Now to Bring Dynamics Back to Music (www.TurnMeUp.org)
Old 10-22-2008, 08:29 PM

Dr J,
Excellent Explanation Endeed (had to )

By the way when did you go from an afro wearing baller to Sound editor/engineer? (had to..again )