Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > MBOX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2022, 10:07 PM

Default Re: New desktop Avid Interface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Can we please stop these pad-free designs. Yes RME I'm looking at you, (but will accept a free 12Mic if you want to send my way).
The Babyface Pro has an 11dBu pad. And the XTC has pads.
Looks like only ones with AutoSet don't have pads(?)
Old 10-19-2022, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
I wish they hadn't used the term MBox at all though, that's not an especially great memory of mine LOL
YES! I had the same thought when I saw it this morning. The old name and its baggage cheapen this product from the get-go. I truly disliked the sound of that old desktop unit and always viewed it as cheap and chintzy. This should have an entirely new name.
Old 10-20-2022, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
YES! I had the same thought when I saw it this morning. The old name and its baggage cheapen this product from the get-go. I truly disliked the sound of that old desktop unit and always viewed it as cheap and chintzy. This should have an entirely new name.
And any time they get a new user who googles for some problem with their Mbox they are going to get a pile of useless information. All but the Mbox 3 Pro just leave me cold, cheap, nasty, terrible brand, I just don't get why somebody would do this.
Old 10-20-2022, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
I wish they hadn't used the term MBox at all though, that's not an especially great memory of mine LOL
Absolutely! What a POS that thing was...
Old 10-20-2022, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
The Babyface Pro has an 11dBu pad. And the XTC has pads.
Looks like only ones with AutoSet don't have pads(?)
Old stuff like the XTC and Fireface 800 sure have pads. The Babyface Pro and discontinued MADIFace Pro have the 11 db pad but they seem to be stark exceptions within the recent lineup.

It seems like besides this all the new silver face (vs blue face) design products are "pad-free".

I'm not totally sure about the Fireface 802, it does not have AutoSet obviously, but does not seem to have a pad either based on looking at the manual, I've never used one.

The 12Mic does not have pads, and it does not currently have AutoSet but RME staff have stated that's coming.

This AutoSet descriptions implies it's on non-pad systems.

"Thanks to the completely digitally controlled gain, devices with AutoSet can reduce the gain automatically, thus providing perfect protection from overload with no degradation of the audio signal, which does not have to pass any additional electronic circuitry. AutoSet also does not cause any of the control noises known from usual limiters."

None of 12Mic, Fireface UCX II, Fireface UFX II, Fireface UFX+, Fireface UCX II, MadiFace XT, seem to have pads.

Most of the new ones seem to use the same preamp, but I'm not sure on the MadiFace XT it seems to have different preamp specs (but still no pad).

I still just wish all vendors would leave a 10dB pad option. Oh well throw more XLR and TRS attenuators into the tool kit.
Old 10-20-2022, 09:01 AM

There is, in fact, a -10 dB pad.
That linked feature list doesn't include it for some reason but in photos it's possible to see the button "PAD" (left side, 2nd row of buttons, 3rd from the left).
Old 10-20-2022, 10:02 AM

Default Re: New desktop Avid Interface - MBOX Studio

I mean, like most native devices really it's all about the drivers. There's a reason I won't give up my RME RayDAT. Will be interesting to see how it performs with RTL and stability

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 10-20-2022, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
And any time they get a new user who googles for some problem with their Mbox they are going to get a pile of useless information. All but the Mbox 3 Pro just leave me cold, cheap, nasty, terrible brand, I just don't get why somebody would do this.
I agree. They might see some sort of brand continuance as positive but it's actually a downgrade. This would've been a good time to move past that name.

I still don't understand the totally disparate product lines. Each with different connection formats and distinct incompatible software. Again it would have been good time to consolidate all that. Hope they don't have a new version of PT for this. PT Artist M-Powered! (even though M-powered was weirdly not for the Mbox)
Old 10-20-2022, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfmoon View Post
There is, in fact, a -10 dB pad.
That linked feature list doesn't include it for some reason but in photos it's possible to see the button "PAD" (left side, 2nd row of buttons, 3rd from the left).
Good to see. At least they did not copy "pad-free" from RME. Mbox Control OTOH looks like folks sure spent some time copying RME TotalMix.
Old 10-20-2022, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
I agree. They might see some sort of brand continuance as positive but it's actually a downgrade. This would've been a good time to move past that name.

I still don't understand the totally disparate product lines. Each with different connection formats and distinct incompatible software. Again it would have been good time to consolidate all that. Hope they don't have a new version of PT for this. PT Artist M-Powered! (even though M-powered was weirdly not for the Mbox)

It has been 20 years since the original Mbox, and 10 years since the Mbox Pro. I imagine there will be a whole new generation of users whose experience with Mboxes will only start with this new Studio version.

Seems like they are still very much stuck in the headspace of PT M-Powered, PT LE and PT HD, with USB, AVB and Digilink now on the cards.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.