Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Public Beta: December 2022

[QUOTE=basharar1;2659833]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Yes, very true. Still.. In the coming months, I am placing plugin vendors in three category.
  1. Those who were offering support during BETA (Q1)
  2. Those who offer support soon after official native PT (Q2)
  3. Those who do not release native plugins in 2023 (Q3-4)
I'm guessing Lexicon falls into category 3, since they haven't even updated for AU/VST3 Silicon yet, while most companies have had those out for a year. They've also made no statement whatsoever, even two+ years on...
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies
Old 01-30-2023, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Those vendors who don't provide any status updates on Apple silicon native support, no communications, etc. are right at the bottom of my list. Yes I realize this may be hard for many smaller vendors, but folks please err on the side of communicating.
Honestly, most smaller developers seem to be more on the front cusp of updating things in a timely manner. Probably they use more modern frameworks (e.g. JUCE) for their development (because why re-invent the wheel, esp if you're a 1-3 person team), which results in just having to set a toggle in the compiler and do another round of testing. It's the mid-sized ones that seem to be having a problem — Plugin Alliance, Brainworx, plus Lexicon which as a plugin dev is also mid-sized...
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies
Old 01-31-2023, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Yes, very true. Still.. In the coming months, I am placing plugin vendors in three category.
  1. Those who were offering support during BETA (Q1)
  2. Those who offer support soon after official native PT (Q2)
  3. Those who do not release native plugins in 2023 (Q3-4)

Guess which group is not getting any more of my money in 2024? The fourth category that I did not mention (native release in Q3-4) doesn't need to be mentioned, because that is the least you can do for your paying customers.

Two other categories for me to consider.

4. Those who charge for upgrades to Silicon Native.

5. Those that have stated that they will never upgrade.

McDSP and Flux are among those in category 4.

East West is in 5. “The Play engine is legacy software and no longer under active development.*“
The last time I checked there was no upgrade path for me from Play to Opus for individual libraries.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:16 AM

I don't mind paying for this Apple silicon update. I have even bought more from the companies I want to update their stuff, such as Synthogy and TC Electronic, way before any announcement. Maybe I was stupid?
Old 01-31-2023, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100below View Post
East West is in 5. “The Play engine is legacy software and no longer under active development.*“
The last time I checked there was no upgrade path for me from Play to Opus for individual libraries.
Play has long been dead. East West realized it was a terrible sampler and they'd never get it fixed and the developer is gone. They brought on the Opus development a long time ago.
Eventually they'll migrate individual libraries (they paid for the recording and content development so it would be their loss to just abandon those samples)
Old 01-31-2023, 08:33 AM

I also don’t think paying some updates costs is out of line. The Flux audio plugins were less than $10 each to update, and I’ve been using them for many years with multiple free updates. They have not released the Session Analyzer update (Due Feb), so I don’t know the price yet. So far, they seem reasonable.

Clearly, it does represent an investment of time for the developers.

The McDSP updates are far more expensive, and that became a consideration. They are excellent, but there are now many good alternatives.
Old 01-31-2023, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Play has long been dead. East West realized it was a terrible sampler and they'd never get it fixed and the developer is gone. They brought on the Opus development a long time ago.
Eventually they'll migrate individual libraries (they paid for the recording and content development so it would be their loss to just abandon those samples)
I wish I had been given the option to upgrade to Opus when it was released. Play suffered through years of problems and only became basically stable around the same time Opus came out (and it had other issues). Even so, I would have updated my current libraries.
You are most likely correct that the individual libraries will be converted, but that does not guarantee that they offer an upgrade path for current owners. They could have done that years ago.

I was offered an upgrade from EW Spaces to Spaces II, but it was almost the same cost as purchasing new and had most of the same impulses, so I expect more of the same.
Old 01-31-2023, 08:56 AM

<<Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Those who were offering support during BETA (Q1)
Those who offer support soon after official native PT (Q2)
Those who do not release native plugins in 2023 (Q3-4)

Guess which group is not getting any more of my money in 2024? The fourth category that I did not mention (native release in Q3-4) doesn't need to be mentioned, because that is the least you can do for your paying customers.>>

Agreed. I have plugs from three companies. Waves, Soundtoys, and PA. PA hasn't said anything about AAX M1 native support yet. I just paid for one more year of support. If they drop the ball, I won't be purchasing anything else from them, and that will free up cash for moving to another vendor. As much hate as Waves gets, they were on the ball.
Old 01-31-2023, 10:48 AM

EW forcing us to buy a new product in order to get on the Opus bandwagon is asinine to me, but asinine is on-par with EW's history of gouging customers so this move is in no way surprising.

I have 4 or so copies of EWQLSO Gold spread across various studios in my company, purchased at original full price, so a significant investment in EW. As someone else said, the Play plugin has always been bad, and now there will be no way to get it into the Native Silicon ecosystem. It's going to be one of those plugins which forces me to open old PT sessions in Rosetta mode.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:37 PM

I use EWQLSO in Opus.
Closed Thread