Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2022, 07:41 PM

Default Track input monitoring from control surface

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=418078

Thread closed here, not sure why. Request has been made before over the past >decade (not exaggerating, although moderators have seen fit to delete the evidence from this forum). From the link above, we can see I’m not the only one needing this to be fixed. At one point Kyle Splittgerber led me to believe it was being worked on, but I have not been able to get any comments from AVID since. I’ve aggravated Eddie enough that he won’t answer me via PM’s. I could comment here:
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=420203
about a “critical” command that has not yet been EUCONized, but I’m not going to hijack that “expensive control surface” thread for the sake of my “economy control surface”, but how could this be any less critical.

Just assign it to the stock layout or allow us to custom map it, now that we CAN do custom mapping. Especially in mastering, or in any other A/B of input vs printed audio, it is an essential, critical command that even Eddie has admitted at one point in PMs that he doesn’t know why it’s hasn’t already been implemented - and that’s a few years ago now.

Looking forward to progress.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:24 PM

Default Re: Track input monitoring from control surface

Since you now have an S1, I told you this is possible.

Go to Eucontrol, Softkeys tab, drop down to S1 softkeys.
Select a button (whatever one you wish -- preferablly User 1 through 4.) Assign it "key" type and then Shift+i (click the shift button above the white entry area and then type a lower case i in the white entry area). Hit Done. Name it whatever you want (it won't show up anyway on the S1 softkeys.) Save your custom soft keys.

Now, on your S1, hit Sel on any track you want to input enable and then click the S1 softkey you just created. Hit the softkey again to take it out of input enable.
Want to enable/disable multiple track inputs at once? Hold shift (real shift like the default for the first button on the S1 softkeys, not the shift button at the top), click Sel on the mutliple tracks you want, then hit the Input enable softkey you created earlier.

(I've mentioned a better way than "Shift+I" in post 30 https://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=...8&postcount=30)

Last edited by BScout; 05-19-2022 at 09:50 AM. Reason: better way note added for future readers
Old 05-17-2022, 09:26 PM

For commands that use "key" type, Pro Tools needs to be in focus on the computer (you can't rely on Eucontrol being "locked" to it.) It actually has to be the active application.
Old 05-18-2022, 07:46 AM

Wow.

I don’t remember when you told “me” about it, but I apologize if I lost track of that. It’s been lots of years and e-mails and PMs and attempts via whatever avenues I could try..

If this works as you’ve described, it’s the last niggle remaining from the complete control my Command 8 allowed me. Hopefully keeping this in the DUC will help others who went through the IdeaScale process, submitted feature request tickets, etc.

Excited to map this later today.

Cheers!
Old 05-18-2022, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale View Post
Wow.

I don’t remember when you told “me” about it, but I apologize if I lost track of that. It’s been lots of years and e-mails and PMs and attempts via whatever avenues I could try..

If this works as you’ve described, it’s the last niggle remaining from the complete control my Command 8 allowed me. Hopefully keeping this in the DUC will help others who went through the IdeaScale process, submitted feature request tickets, etc.

Excited to map this later today.

Cheers!
It was in the last thread you had on this. Mentioned that this could be solved if you had an S1. At that time you didn't.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:43 AM

Fair.

That’s what happens when things get deleted, I guess. No way to go back and check, or it makes it hard to keep track. It would have been nice to have one thread so everyone could keep track. Even my more recent thread got locked for no obvious reason, so I had to start this one.

The team has made amazing strides over the past couple of years and I am fully appreciative of the progress that’s been made since I decided not to get the Euphonix surfaces when they first came out. Now that I’ve moved on from the Artist Control with its exploding power choke, malfunctioning pots, and unrealized control potential, I’m now back to that full control I had with the Command 8. It only took over a decade to get there, and two control surfaces besides, plus an iPad and re-purchasing a Countour Designs Shuttle for jogs, with one AVID product going EOL in between. At least it looks like the team is finally realizing and implementing the full potential of EUCON up and down the lineup and I look forward to continuing to relearn all the new and deep and wonderful layers of control.

I was frustrated for years, but am finally happy now.
Old 05-18-2022, 01:49 PM

Good to hear.

They could still implement a modifier + track button but, honestly, there are a lot of things that would be more useful to develop and I'd rather them go through that huge list. The S1 soft keys are quite useful/powerful for a lot of things. I've already used up my 8 (layout recall, scrolling options, clear solo, etc.) and when they allow multiple S1 units to have different keys (right now they duplicate), it'll be even better.
Old 05-18-2022, 03:34 PM

100% in agreement. I think I’ll actually prefer that custom button at the bottom of the strip, away from the crowd of individual strip controls. Lovely that this is the solution.
Old 05-18-2022, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Since you now have an S1, I told you this is possible.

Go to Eucontrol, Softkeys tab, drop down to S1 softkeys.
Select a button (whatever one you wish -- preferablly User 1 through 4.) Assign it "key" type and then Shift+i (click the shift button above the white entry area and then type a lower case i in the white entry area). Hit Done. Name it whatever you want (it won't show up anyway on the S1 softkeys.) Save your custom soft keys.

Now, on your S1, hit Sel on any track you want to input enable and then click the S1 softkey you just created. Hit the softkey again to take it out of input enable.
Want to enable/disable multiple track inputs at once? Hold shift (real shift like the default for the first button on the S1 softkeys, not the shift button at the top), click Sel on the mutliple tracks you want, then hit the Input enable softkey you created earlier.
Hm.

This still seems to me to be like the soft key on my Artist Control, where it's input enabling the track where the cursor is, regardless of track selection (where the track name is highlighted). In theory, I'd select the track by touch on the surface (e.g. via fader touch) and hit that soft key and it would toggle the input monitor.

I'll imagine that there's a setting somewhere that I have to fart around with, but I'll be lazy with this and post the issue... see if someone replies first or if I can figure it out on my own...

But at least I can map keystrokes now! Awesome. Already trying to think of assignments...
Old 05-18-2022, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale View Post
In theory, I'd select the track by touch on the surface (e.g. via fader touch) and hit that soft key and it would toggle the input monitor.
That personally wouldn't be the way I'd do it (I prefer the deliberate Sel button next to each track) but to do what you ask, in Eucontrol > General tab, far left column at the bottom, check "select by touch"