Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 01-23-2006, 08:03 AM

Lightbulb Venue Tips & Tricks

How about some tips and tricks from Venue users.

Here's one to start that I grabbed from one of my A1's.

When you're not using every channel for a show, label the unused channels as "-" instead of leaving them to the default "Ch ??". This makes it a lot easier to find things when scanning the scribble strips.

Dave
Old 01-23-2006, 10:22 AM
Avid

Default Re: Venue Tips & Tricks

Great idea Dave,

I'll add a few...

Using the Default Button
Press and hold the Default button (or ALT key on the keyboard) to reset any parameter, or parameter section.
Examples
Deafult + SELECT resets a fader to 0 dB (great for VCAs!)
Default + EQ IN/COMP IN/GATE IN resets the entire EQ/Comp/Gate section
Default + <any encoder> resets that individual parameter (great for resetting a single band of EQ)

Keyboard Equivalents
In many cases the modifier buttons on the D-Show surface can be used to invoke keyboard shortcuts. This is especially helpful when managing snapshot or plug-in lists, for example.
Multi-Select = SHIFT
Default = ALT
Fine = CTRL

Hardware Monitoring
D-Show 1.1 features an integrated hardware monitor that keeps track of all voltages and temperatures for the FOH Rack motherboard, and automatically alerts the user to out of range conditions. To display the hardware monitor at any time, press CTRL+SHIFT+M.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:24 PM
Avid

I like to name an unused channel with a space, then it's just blank!
-Matt
Old 01-25-2006, 06:28 PM
Avid

And don't forget that FINE mode can be locked on by double-clicking the button. Once things are dialed in I think FINE mode to be much more conducive to live adjustments. I've seen several users just leave FINE mode on all the time. To exit locked FINE mode, just tap FINE once.

-Matt
Old 01-27-2006, 02:24 AM

Default Additional 16 Auxes!!!

if you need more than 24 auxes, think about your setup. if you do monitors you mostly spend a whole auxsend for one simple reverb, eg. main vocal. you can free that aux and use the matrix to feed that reverb. put the matrix pickoff to post fader. than use the user input of the matrix to feed the matrix with the desired input channel. now initiate a reverb and use the matrix as the input to the plug.done. you get 8 matrix mixes and 8 pq mixes if you like. you can do cool setups with each tom of a drumset with a different reverb. takes only 3-..... matrixes depnding on the drummer. the big advantage compered to insert it in the channel is that you have access to ther return. you can adjust it for every musician saperately.

have fun
Old 02-01-2006, 09:22 AM

I'm using the console in a house of worship setting so maybe this won't apply. Every week ous service is completely different, and the snapshots are awesome.

- Automation safe is your friend. During rehearsals, I safe everything and snapshot as we run through each song and section of the service.

- I unsafe everything before the start of the service and everything works just like it's supposed to.

- If something gets added after the initial snapshots are done, I will safe that channel and re-store the snapshots as we go.

- If you mix hands on for each song, try and get your snapshots for the START of the song and not the end.

- Only snapshot the parameters you need. I sometimes will re-name and assign VCA's for different parts of the service. If you do this, make sure you snapshot those same parameters somewhere at the front of your show/service or else when you try and run it again you'll be stuck at those same settings you need for later on in the program.

- For my particular use, I find it easier to create new snapshots as I go than to try and create snapshots ahead of time and then overwrite them.

Dave
Old 02-13-2006, 10:12 PM
Avid

Here's another feature I find more and more useful as my plug-in racks have kept growing in size...

If you find yourself using multiple instances of the same plug-in (e.g, Drawmer Tourbuss gate across kick, rack toms, floor tom), it's easy to simply add one plug-in to the rack and then copy it to fill other empty rack slots without having to use the plug-in pull down menu.

Here's how:
1) Put the console in Config mode (must be in Config to instantiate a plug-in).
2) Use the plug-in pull-down arrow on the right side of a rack slot to select and instantiate a plug-in.
3) Click and drag the newly instantiated plug-in to an empty rack slot.
4) Release the mouse button and a menu appears. Choose "Copy Plug-In Here" from the menu.
5) Repeat!

If you're particular about the order plug-ins appear in the racks a similar method can be used to quickly re-arrange things. While in Config mode, click and drag a plug-in to its new destination and choose the "Move Plug-In here" option instead of "Copy...". Plug-in settings and routing are preserved.

Sheldon
Old 04-07-2006, 07:32 AM

We found a use for one of the new v2.0 features last night:

I use the Echo Farm plugin on an FX return for delay because of it's convenient tap tempo button. However, it used to take several button presses to get at it to change the delay.

With 2.0 you can open the plugin on the plugin window and "Pin" it. Now everytime you hit the plug-in button on the console, you will go right to your delay.

Dave
Old 07-04-2006, 03:53 AM

Hi Guys,

It would be real neat if the pedals could be made to map to the tap tempo button.....

Cheers
Jimmy
Singapore

Quote:
We found a use for one of the new v2.0 features last night:

I use the Echo Farm plugin on an FX return for delay because of it's convenient tap tempo button. However, it used to take several button presses to get at it to change the delay.

With 2.0 you can open the plugin on the plugin window and "Pin" it. Now everytime you hit the plug-in button on the console, you will go right to your delay.

Dave
Old 07-06-2006, 10:00 AM
Avid

Quote:
It would be real neat if the pedals could be made to map to the tap tempo button.....
I agree...but because of the way the system is designed this is not a trivial thing to do, or we would have done it already. Basically, plug-ins run in a separate software environment so that the core system functions - control surface communication and basic chanel mixing - aren't compromised in the event a plug-in fails. To make a footswitch "talk" to a plug-in we have to create a communications bridge between the footswitch ports and the plug-in environment, and must do so in a way that doesn't compromise system stability. That's the tricky, time-consuming part.

Sheldon