Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2011, 01:12 PM

Default Aggregate causing sampling distortion having nothing to do with settings.

I am running several systems on Mac Minis with PT 10 using an Mbox 2 on Mac OS X 10.6.8.

I am only using the MBox 2, no other external devices with clocks.

Issue:
Often when I open a session, create a track and arm it, the signal (dynamic mic and voice) has what sounds like sampling distortion. It's a crackly/growling sound similar to digital clipping, but definitely is not from any gain staging issue. It is an intermittent problem and has nothing to do with any of the settings in the Aggregate window (only the Mbox is check with Resample unchecked. The built-in I/O is also unchecked.) I have had this problem on two separate Mac Minis and other Mboxes I've substituted on both systems.

Short-term solution:
Checking and unchecking the Resample box solves the problem immediately.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is this a software/compatibility issue? I'm at a total loss and would prefer to fix the problem properly.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:53 AM

Default Re: Aggregate causing sampling distortion having nothing to do with settings.

i have the same issues.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:50 AM

Default Re: Aggregate causing sampling distortion having nothing to do with settings.

This is a problem when using aggregate - in some cases the devices in the aggregate cannot 'sync' to each other properly. The solution - select just your Mbox in the Playback Engine.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledrecording View Post
I am running several systems on Mac Minis with PT 10 using an Mbox 2 on Mac OS X 10.6.8.

I am only using the MBox 2, no other external devices with clocks.

Issue:
Often when I open a session, create a track and arm it, the signal (dynamic mic and voice) has what sounds like sampling distortion. It's a crackly/growling sound similar to digital clipping, but definitely is not from any gain staging issue. It is an intermittent problem and has nothing to do with any of the settings in the Aggregate window (only the Mbox is check with Resample unchecked. The built-in I/O is also unchecked.) I have had this problem on two separate Mac Minis and other Mboxes I've substituted on both systems.

Short-term solution:
Checking and unchecking the Resample box solves the problem immediately.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is this a software/compatibility issue? I'm at a total loss and would prefer to fix the problem properly.
Same problem with UFX. It 's a sync problem within aggregate devices. Br sure to choose the driver of your sound device (in my case = ASIO fire face) in protools's playback engine.
Sometimes you need to reboot your Mac.

Ps : i notice that This problem only occurs with Mac, not with PC.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Ps : i notice that This problem only occurs with Mac, not with PC.
That's because 'Aggregate Device' is a Mac only feature.