Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-28-2011, 10:20 PM

Default Waves 50% off TDM stuff for March!

Just saw Waves new specials on the website for March. 50% off all TDM purchases and upgrades. Plus 20% off a few Native things.

What's interesting about this, is that in some cases the TDM bundles are actually cheaper than the Native versions. Mercury is one example. At these prices it may be advantageous for people to just get the TDM versions even if they don't have an HD system, with the idea that they'll have it in case they every do get into HD.

I'm going by the prices on the Waves site. The dealer sites aren't updated yet.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:31 AM

Default Re: Waves 50% off TDM stuff for March!

Thanks for pointing this out. That is quite a deal at 50% off for TDM! It almost makes me want to consider upgrading to the TDM version of the Studio Classics Collection and CLA Classic Compressors. On the other hand, the announcement of this promotion so soon after the price drop on Waves plugins makes me wonder what this means for TDM. Could this be another sign that the future of TDM is uncertain? If this were the case, it would make sense for Waves and other plugin manufacturers to try and get the last amount of mileage out them from a sales standpoint. I'd be curious to know what everyone else thinks.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:26 AM

TDM includes the Native Versions anyway and don't forget Live Console VENUE guys need TDM.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:53 AM

Nonetheless, I never remember Waves doing a 50% off ever. I would be concerned and put my upgrades on hold for a bit.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy_Boy View Post
Nonetheless, I never remember Waves doing a 50% off ever. I would be concerned and put my upgrades on hold for a bit.
No concerns here, as regardless of the future of TDM, I will have to work with my current system for quite some time. I have stayed away from Waves up to this point because they were just so cost-prohibitive compared to offerings from other plug companies (I just have a project studio and am not recording and mixing albums for major labels, so any budget comes directly out of my own pocket!). But today, alas, due to this new promo, I have happily entered the Waves Kingdom, picking up my TDM version of Vocal Rider for a cool $225 and the TDM Renaissance Maxx bundle for $262.50. Don't know if I will find them worth the investment in the long run, but right now given the price I paid today, I am happy as a clam!

Mac Pro Rack (7,1) 16-core 3.2gHz Intel Xeon W
OSX Catalina (10.15.4)
8TB Mac OEM SSD System Drive
(3) 1Tb 7200rpm audio hard drives
192Gb RAM
Radeon Pro Vega II Video Card
2 Avid HDX Cards
2 Avid 8X8X8 HD I/Os; 2 Avid 16X16 HD I/Os
PT Ultimate 2020.3
Old 03-01-2011, 11:30 AM

I don't think this is new.

When I upgraded from Native to HD just over a year ago there was a 50% off offer then which a dealer upped to a 60%! There have been 50% offers since I've been tempted by.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:30 AM

from what I can tell, this is only a 50% discount if you buy from the online store. I called my dealer and he said that Waves isn't giving their vendors the additional discount. I just went to sweetwater's site too and they are also NOT giving the 50% discount for Waves TDM stuff. They may change the site soon to try and compete against Waves.com directly, who knows. But like my dealer said, the last Waves sale was also a discount to the vendors (Vendor's also got 40% off, so they didn't take a hit in profit at all). This sale is only 50% off from Waves.com. The vendors still have to buy the stock at regular wholesale price (which is, surprise, 50% off list).

I already buy all my stuff at 45% off list from my dealer. So this is really only like a 5% discount when buying from their online store. Waves is basically selling the bundles at "wholesale" prices for a limited time.

I have a feeling they are testing out the "EastWest" business model. They want to see how successful they would be at selling their "big ticket" items through the website. And if the sales are a success, you'll see them start to cut out vendors and focus more on selling direct to customers through their website... and then every month we'll get a "Huge sale at Waves.com" email just like we get from EastWest now. Once most people have started buying from Waves.com directly (maybe 6 to 12 months from now) you'll see the prices go back up. Not back up to list... but back up to 25%~35% off list. If Waves WAS selling everything to vendors at 50% off list... but now can bait the consumers over to their own website and eventually sell everything direct to consumers at 35% off list... they just increased their profit margin by 15~25% and cut out the need for manufacturing physical product (which makes the profit margin increase more like 35~40%). When you are a company like Waves making literally 10's of millions of dollars a year... increasing that by even 15% is a HUGE amount of money.

I don't think this is a fire sale to get rid of all their TDM product, especially since the native stuff is on sale as well. I think this is more of a test to see if they can attract the bigger fish (spending-wise) that have traditionally only bought through a vendor and not directly from Waves.com.

I could be wrong about this... but that's what it looks like to me.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 03-01-2011, 11:43 AM

All the stuff I got today came from Sweetwater, and the prices were accurate on their site. ALL TDM bundles were discounted; I just couldn't afford to go Gold, Platinum, or Mercury haha!

Mac Pro Rack (7,1) 16-core 3.2gHz Intel Xeon W
OSX Catalina (10.15.4)
8TB Mac OEM SSD System Drive
(3) 1Tb 7200rpm audio hard drives
192Gb RAM
Radeon Pro Vega II Video Card
2 Avid HDX Cards
2 Avid 8X8X8 HD I/Os; 2 Avid 16X16 HD I/Os
PT Ultimate 2020.3
Old 03-01-2011, 11:50 AM

What Derek said seems to make a lot of sense. I sent an e-mail to my dealer, but haven't heard back from them yet. I did, however, check out the Waves Universe website and noticed that their prices did not reflect the prices on the official Waves site.

According to the Waves website, it'll cost me $750 to upgrade my Studio Classics Bundle and $250 to upgrade my CLA Classic Compressors bundle to TDM. Although that is quite a discount, I have to wonder if it's really worth it. I can get several instances running RTAS on my MacPro without running out of voices on my HD2. I demoed the TDM versions a few months ago and couldn't believe how quickly they used up the DSP chips on the cards! No wonder so many guys have HD3's and higher. As I see it, the advantage of having the TDM versions would be the ability to track through them and use them on Auxes without burning more voices. These two bundles are my most used plugins, so if I was to upgrade any of my plugins to TDM, it would be these ones.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:11 PM

Sweetwater now has the discounted prices, so apparently it is available to dealers.

This brings me back to a point I made. Even if you don't own a TDM system, the TDM versions of the plugins also include the RTAS, AU, and VST versions. A couple of the native versions they also put on sale, but a few of them they didn't.

So in a couple of cases it's way cheaper to get the TDM versions. For example, on Sweetwater's site, it's $4725 for Mercury Native, but only $3712 for TDM! So just grab the TDM one, even if you never use an HD system. And if you do use HD in the future, you'll already have the TDM versions. Even if they put Mercury Native on 20% off next month, it will be about the same or slightly more than getting the TDM one now. Horizon and Diamond work out to slightly more if you get the TDM ones now vs. the Native ones at 20% off, but the difference is very small.

Keep in mind that this also applies to upgrades. You will need to find out from your dealer what your particular upgrade is, but it should work out pretty similar. You can upgrade from anything to anything. For example, you can own Platinum Native and Vocal Rider Native, and upgrade to Horizon TDM, etc.