Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 12-26-2013, 11:13 AM

Default Help: what are my options

I apologize if these answers have come up in other threads, I haven't found them if so. I'll get to my question in a min.

What I have:
2009 Mac Pro 2.26 GHz Dual Quad-Core intel Xeon
Pro Tools 10 HD Native PCIe with Omni Interface
Main HD
2 TB VI drive
500 GB SSD for EW Hollywood series
2 TB storage drive
No slave CPU

My work has been solely using VI's for a Movie Score I'm working on. I plan to do Audio recording soon I just haven't made it there yet. I just read about someone having PT 11 + 10 co-Installed and I'm wondering if that is an avenue I should pursue( or can I even Pursue?).

Questions:

For VI based DAWs is it beneficial to go to PT11? What is the benefit to going to 11 other than it being 64 bit? Or is that reason enough?

Please help I'm really trying to understand it all and I'm very new to my DAW and it is a little overwhelming.

Last edited by ETMuz; 12-26-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Help: what are my options

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETMuz View Post
I apologize if these answers have come up in other threads, I haven't found them if so. I'll get to my question in a min.

What I have:
2009 Mac Pro 2.26 GHz Dual Quad-Core intel Xeon
Pro Tools 10 HD Native PCIe with Omni Interface
Main HD
2 TB VI drive
500 GB SSD for EW Hollywood series
2 TB storage drive
No slave CPU

My work has been solely using VI's for a Movie Score I'm working on. I plan to do Audio recording soon I just haven't made it there yet. I just read about someone having PT 11 + 10 co-Installed and I'm wondering if that is an avenue I should pursue( or can I even Pursue?).

Questions:

For VI based DAWs is it beneficial to go to PT11? What is the benefit to going to 11 other than it being 64 bit? Or is that reason enough?

Please help I'm really trying to understand it all and I'm very new to my DAW and it is a little overwhelming.
We need more info - like what version of OSX are you running and how much ram do you have? What are the speeds of the drives you are using? Sounds like you have 4 drives - all internal right?

Yes you can have PT10 and 11 installed on the same machine. If you're using a lot of sample based vi's then the expanded address space of PT11 (that's what the 64 bit means) is worth it. Stuff your machine with as much ram as you can afford - OWC is one of the better outfits out there for ram. And make sure your ram is matched and from the same manufacturer.

For a person new to daw work you sure jumped in the deep end with a PT10HD system. Be forewarned it's a steep learning curve. Avail yourself of all the resources out there - the DUC here, YouTube, Groove 3 for tutorials, etc. And of course spend some time with the user's guide (aka the manual).

QAPLA!
Old 12-26-2013, 01:49 PM

Thanks for your reply MusicMan. Haha yeah I know but the way I learn has always been by jumping in the deep

My OS is 10.8 with 16GB of RAM(from OWC). I currently have a pair of 8GB modules on the way as we speak to make it 32GB.

3 are 7200 and 1 is SSD.

I thought it would be cheaper to upgrade from 10HD to 11HD than $600 thats why I wanted input from users to see if its worth it.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply MusicMan. Haha yeah I know but the way I learn has always been by jumping in the deep

My OS is 10.8 with 16GB of RAM(from OWC). I currently have a pair of 8GB modules on the way as we speak to make it 32GB.

3 are 7200 and 1 is SSD.

I thought it would be cheaper to upgrade from 10HD to 11HD than $600 thats why I wanted input from users to see if its worth it.
32 gig should be good. What version of Mountain Lion do you have? There's no such thing as just OSX 10.8. 7200RPM non-green drives should be good as well.

QAPLA!
Old 12-29-2013, 10:52 PM

I have Mountain Lion 10.8.5
I've just about decided to go with the upgrade. I appreciate your input Musicman
Btw Green drives?
Old 12-29-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
I have Mountain Lion 10.8.5
I've just about decided to go with the upgrade. I appreciate your input Musicman
Btw Green drives?
H
Yeah Green Drives like Shrek Just kidding but there are certain drives like Western Digital Green drives that have different power saving functions which are like cryptonite for Pro Tools and audio/video in general, That's what Jack meant with "No Green Drives" but if you have modern 7200 rpm drives (no wdc green or blue drives) you certainly can coinstall both PT11/10HD. We are lot's of members here who have 10.8.5 and HD11/10 and works just like it should

You can see on the drives if it says WDC Green or Blue etc. The absolute best drives are WDC Black 1-3TB 7200 rpm or better (SSD's too) and 64MB Cache

What concerns are you having about the upgrade exept for the 600 buckaroos?

Best Holliday Wishes
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————