Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 06-15-2022, 10:43 PM

Default Reinstall PT 12 from original downloads. (not avid site)

Hi everyone. I have PT 12 running on an SSD at the moment. I have problems with it crashing and acting weird.. so I want to buy an Nvme and start the whole PC again from scratch, reinstalling an OS (win 8.1 pro 64) and then the PT 12.4.0. I have kept all the original downloaded folders from the original install of Pro Tools and the PT I/O which is the interface for the black Apogee Duet (for Pc).
I presume my original PT install folders can be installed from an external drive onto the new 8.1 OS ? Or copied to the downloads folder on the new OS and then installed ?
Also, would this affect the i lok key in any way..
AND.. if I put the old SSD back in, removing the Nvme with the new Win 8.1 and fresh PT install, would the old SSD and old PT still work ?
Might sound silly but I don't wanna mess things up !
Appreciate any help and advice. Have a good day everyone !
Old 06-15-2022, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Reinstall PT 12 from original downloads. (not avid site)

I cannot parse what you are saying.

To install Pro Tools on a new Windows install you need the installer. When you say "kept original download folders" is that what you mean? You actually have the installer .exe file.

You say other stuff here that is also unclear. Starting with "Pro Tools 12 running on an SSD". You mean that is the Windows boot drive that Pro Tools is installed on? Or that is a separate drive you are using for audio sessions?

And the most unclear thing is the overall though process. You don't describe what crashes or other problems you are having and you provide hardly any system info. Maybe what you should be doing is describe the exact crashes/problems, exact error messages, and exactly what you see happening and what it takes to trigger this and exact troubleshooting you have tried and asking for suggestions. I'm going to oh go out on a limb here and just wild ass guess that whatever problem you have it's not a drive issue.

Start with reading "help us help you" up the top of each DUC web page, and post a SiSoft Sandra Report. Run the report with all your drives attached and explain on which drives/volumes in the report you have your sessions/audio content files, and VI samples.

Is the PC fully optimized? You've done every last optimization thing however inconvenient?

And "an NVMe"? You mean an NVMe SSD, and what SSD is it installed on now?... esp. since your Motherboard has a M.2 slot. SiSoft Sandra will make all clear. Your PC also has lots of PCIe 2 slots so if you are trying to maximize SSD performance you may need a PCIe adapter card capable of lane aggregation. But again I would not leap to assume you have a drive problem *even* if Pro Tools is throwing AAE errors mentioning disk performance problems, not until doing more careful troubleshooting.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-16-2022 at 01:56 AM.
Old 06-16-2022, 01:54 AM

Hello. Yes I have the Set-up exe contained in the zipped folder I got when I paid for Pro Tools originally. It opens the black and purple Avid 'Install Pro Tools', watch PT tutorial videos etc.. the original install !

Starting again removes the current PT (or any 3rd party files) that currently give me several different problems including crashing and re-opening when I try to close it. I also have a hiss that comes sometimes on start-up from the Apogee interface, intermittent, which may or may not be related. A re-boot usually sorts that out or unplugging and re-plugging the usb power connector. Not the leads etc. so.... The Apogee interface might have the fault but if the hardware WAS Ok, then it's got to be software related hasn't it ?

I'm already using Win 8.1 pro 64, with a normal Samsung sata SSD but would change to a Samsung 980 Nvme as the C-Drive for use in the main M2 slot, Asus Z97k mobo, i-7 4790 processor, 24GB ram, PT 12.4.0 through Tandberg Studio Monitors.( yes, the 'unicorn-poo' rare, large monitors that it's been said would cost approx. £5k to replace the sound quality of today) As a qualified audio engineer, I also appreciate signal paths and other issues.

Part of this upgrade is to change the format of the SSD as well, it's not simply to repair the current one (PT). I could clone the old Samsung Sata SSD to the new Nvme but that takes all possible problem files with it. I require a fresh install to aid troubleshooting by knowing its the PT core files and not anything that was added or downloaded later from 3rd parties. I only want PT on a new system. No VI's, No extra FX, No EZ Drummer or SSD5 etc.. I just want a simple new install to see what happens.

BTW, my PT song file folder has changed disk media from HDD to SSD and then to another larger SSD so it's not the drives, as you said.

Thanks. Ian.
Old 06-16-2022, 02:17 AM

Hi Darryl. C Drive (and PT) are currently on a Samsung 850 Evo Sata 2.5 SSD.
All song files and sound libraries are on a Corsair MP510 240 GB NVMe PCIe Gen3 x 4 M.2 SSD that currently lives in the M2 slot on Mobo. So would need to transfer the Corsair into a PCIE adapter as the new Samsung 980 nvme pcie3 will go in the M2 slot on Mobo instead. Presume that's ok. Then the old 2.5 Samsung sata SSD (the old c drive and PT) will be removed from the PC completely, leaving just 2 Nvme's.in the system, the new Samsung 980 C Drive / PT and the older Corsair MP510 (sound libraries and pt projects / songs). Will it affect the i lok key in any way Darryl ? Thanks mate. Ian.
Old 06-19-2022, 09:05 AM

Things to think about:
1-Its time to move on from Windows 8
2-Any time you are going to install Pro Tools, you first need to uninstall the previous version(this is a must for Windows users)
3-Moving to an NVMe MIGHT be a bit snappier, but isn't likely to solve your issues
4-a fresh install of everything IS a possible solution, as long as you have the time
5-If you have the installer for PT 12 on ANY drive, you can install FROM that drive(but you always install Pro Tools to the C: drive)
6-before you re-install everything, trash prefs and database files(this is step #1 for "odd" behavior).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-19-2022, 02:18 PM

Hi Albee,
Thanks for your time and effort replying. Windows 8.1, I understand your point but as I have 12.4.0 PT, it's apparently a couple of versions below the stated requirements needed (12.6) for Windows 10. ? I may be wrong but I might have issues with 10, much as i'd like 10. Plan is now to install 8.1 pro (or 10 if i can) onto a new drive. Then copy the PT install folders to the blank new C. Remove the old SSD, Then run the PT install. Hope that will be ok.Thankfully I do have the time. Good luck with your stuff ! Thanks again ! Ian.
Old 06-20-2022, 02:11 PM

Ian you will get a lot better help here if you post a SiSoft Sandra report. Anything that might cause issues are likely to get noticed, before you spend more time/money on stuff.

Not getting trapped into troubleshooting forever and if stuck after some proper troubleshooting then deciding to stop that to do a clean OS and new Pro Tools installs is a good approach. However if you don't do that proper troubleshooting you are likely to just recreate the problem when you reinstall apps and plugins etc. Or maybe it's corrupt sessions... who knows. And we have no idea what actual troubleshooting you have tried.

So hopefully before diving in ands swapping out stuff you have done things like.

Trash prefs (use the Trasher app)
Check the system is fully optimized, every last thing done.
Move all .aaxplugin files out of the plugin folder, trash prefs again.
Test starting with a new empty session, not from template.
Create a new admin account and test from there, repeating other tests.

Apogee interface hisses, might be just need better gain matching tweaks and/or maybe noise or noise pickups in the monitors. Or maybe a hardware or driver issue, probably not likely to be Pro Tools (but make sure you are not just enabling/disabling software monitoring paths that let you hear the hiss).

I understand the attractiveness of wanting a PCIe/NVMe SSD, and hopefully you can install a large enough drive that can accommodate the Windows boot, VI samples, and audio/sessions. No need for separate drives. And I think your mobo has PCIe 2 and PCIe 3 slots and you may not have a PCIe 3 slot for the old M.2 card, if so I'd be trying to consolidate onto a modern fast card in the PCIe 3 mobo M.2 slot.

Not sure what you mean by change the format of the SSD drive, this drives need to be NTFS.

And since you are on Pro Tools 12 you can at least upgrade to Pro Tools 12.5 or earlier and after 12.2 be getting disk cache. That might be nice, but with a max of 16GB on your motherboard you will want to be cautious how large you set the cache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Squire View Post
Hello. Yes I have the Set-up exe contained in the zipped folder I got when I paid for Pro Tools originally. It opens the black and purple Avid 'Install Pro Tools', watch PT tutorial videos etc.. the original install !

Starting again removes the current PT (or any 3rd party files) that currently give me several different problems including crashing and re-opening when I try to close it. I also have a hiss that comes sometimes on start-up from the Apogee interface, intermittent, which may or may not be related. A re-boot usually sorts that out or unplugging and re-plugging the usb power connector. Not the leads etc. so.... The Apogee interface might have the fault but if the hardware WAS Ok, then it's got to be software related hasn't it ?

I'm already using Win 8.1 pro 64, with a normal Samsung sata SSD but would change to a Samsung 980 Nvme as the C-Drive for use in the main M2 slot, Asus Z97k mobo, i-7 4790 processor, 24GB ram, PT 12.4.0 through Tandberg Studio Monitors.( yes, the 'unicorn-poo' rare, large monitors that it's been said would cost approx. £5k to replace the sound quality of today) As a qualified audio engineer, I also appreciate signal paths and other issues.

Part of this upgrade is to change the format of the SSD as well, it's not simply to repair the current one (PT). I could clone the old Samsung Sata SSD to the new Nvme but that takes all possible problem files with it. I require a fresh install to aid troubleshooting by knowing its the PT core files and not anything that was added or downloaded later from 3rd parties. I only want PT on a new system. No VI's, No extra FX, No EZ Drummer or SSD5 etc.. I just want a simple new install to see what happens.

BTW, my PT song file folder has changed disk media from HDD to SSD and then to another larger SSD so it's not the drives, as you said.

Thanks. Ian.
Old 06-21-2022, 02:45 AM

Hi Darryl. Thanks for your reply. Here is the Computer Overview. Is that the right readout or do I need to analyze other categories in SIS ? Should I post this / them somewhere else ?

SIS Sandra

ID
Host Name : Nog
Workgroup : WORKGROUP

Computer
Model : ASUS All Series ASUS MB
Serial Number : System Ser**********
Chassis : Desktop
Mainboard : ASUS Z97-K
Serial Number : 1410338********
BIOS : AMI (OEM) 0330 05/29/2014
Intel Management Engine (ME) : 9.1.25.1005

System Memory
Total Memory : 24GB DIMM DDR3

Processors
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz (4C 8T 4GHz, 4GHz IMC, 8x 256kB L2, 8x 8MB L3)
Socket/Slot : FC LGA1150

Chipset
Memory Controller : ASUS Core4 (Haswell) DRAM Controller 100MHz, 2x 12GB DIMM DDR3 2.4GHz 128-bit, Integrated Graphics

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module : Kingston KHX2400C11D38GX 8GB DIMM DDR3 2Rx8 PC3-19200U DDR3-2400 (11-11-11-29 5-40-13-6)
Memory Module : Kingston KHX2400C11D34GX 4GB DIMM DDR3 1Rx8 PC3-19200U DDR3-2400 (11-11-11-29 5-40-13-6)
Memory Module : Kingston KHX2400C11D34GX 4GB DIMM DDR3 1Rx8 PC3-19200U DDR3-2400 (11-11-11-29 5-40-13-6)
Memory Module : Corsair CMD16GX3M2A2400C10 8GB DIMM DDR3 2Rx8 PC3-18300U DDR3-2286 (9-9-9-25 4-33-10-5)

Video System
Monitor/Panel : LG FULL HD
(1920x1080, 21.7")
Video Adapter : Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 (160S 20C SM5.1 600MHz/1.2GHz, 512kB L2, 384MB DDR3 2.4GHz 128-bit, Integrated Graphics)

Graphics Processor
OpenCL : Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 (160S 20C SM1.2 600MHz/1.2GHz, 256kB L2, 1.3GB DDR3 2.4GHz 128-bit, Integrated Graphics)
D3D 11 : Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 (160S 20C SM11.0 600MHz/1.2GHz, 512kB L2, 384MB DDR3 2.4GHz 128-bit, Integrated Graphics)
OpenGL : Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 (160S 20C SM4.30 600MHz/1.2GHz, 512kB L2, 128MB DDR3 2.4GHz 128-bit, Integrated Graphics)

Storage Devices
Disk : Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (500.1GB, SATA600, 2.5", SSD, SED)
Disk : Force MP510 (240GB, PCIe2/3x2/NVMe)

Logical Storage Devices
Hard Disk (C:) : 466GB (NTFS, 4kB) @ Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (500.1GB, SATA600, 2.5", SSD, SED)
M2 (E:) : 224GB (NTFS, 4kB) @ Force MP510 (240GB, PCIe2/3x2/NVMe)

Storage System
Storage Pool : Primordial (689.33GB)

Peripherals
LPC Hub Controller : ASUS ICH90 (Wildcat Point) Z97 LPC Controller
Audio Device : ASUS Core4 (Haswell) HD Audio Controller
Audio Device : ASUS ICH90 (Wildcat Point) HD Audio Controller
Audio Codec : Realtek Semi High Definition Audio
Serial Port(s) : 1
Disk Controller : ASUS ICH90 (Wildcat Point) SATA Controller [AHCI Mode]
Disk Controller : Phison Electronics Corporation E12 NVMe Controller
USB Controller : ASUS ICH90 (Wildcat Point) USB3 xHCI Controller
USB Controller : ASUS ICH90 (Wildcat Point) USB2 EHCI Controller #2
USB Controller : ASUS ICH90 (Wildcat Point) USB2 EHCI Controller #1
USB Controller : Renesas Tech uPD720201 USB 3.0 Host Controller
SMBus/i2c Controller : Intel ICH SMBus

Printers and Faxes
Printer : Microsoft XPS Document Writer v4 (600x600, Colour)
Fax : Microsoft Shared Fax Driver (200x200)

Network Services
Network Adapter : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (Ethernet)
Wireless Adapter : NETGEAR WNDA4100 N900 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter

Operating System
Windows System : Microsoft Windows 8.1 Professional 6.3.9600
Platform Compliance : x64

Performance Enhancing Tips
Warning 2513 : TPM not detected. Some security features are unavailable.
Tip 3 : Double-click tip or press Enter while a tip is selected for more information about the tip.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:06 AM

A couple of things that stick out..
  • Mismatched memory sizes, speeds and brands
  • You have both an NVMe and SATA SSD, but your NVMe isn't your main (OS, C:\) drive?
  • I'm not a fan of Win8, you should be able to upgrade that to Win10 for free. While PT12.4 is not officially supported with Win10, you might have better results (if you can't upgrade to 12.5)
  • Integrated graphics aren't the best option, but likely not your problem

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 06-21-2022, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelG View Post
A couple of things that stick out..
You have both an NVMe and SATA SSD, but your NVMe isn't your main (OS, C:\) drive?
Which ah is the whole topic of this thread that Ian is asking about