Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2022, 02:11 PM

Default Stop Pro Tools from automatically assigning inputs to new audio tracks?

Hey Guys,

I have a relatively simple question that I need to ask, that has been bugging the heck out of me every since I started using Pro Tools a couple years ago. Whenever I import audio tracks or create new audio tracks, Pro Tools automatically assigns random input channels to those tracks. When I am recording something through a mic, I prefer to select the input channel myself; however, when I import an audio file from another source, I pretty much NEVER want to record over it; so there is no need for an input channel assignment. Nevertheless, Pro Tools assigns input channels to everything so I am constantly changing all the assignments to "no input" and it's annoying. I can continue with my project and ignore it, but it sure would be nice to not have it happening anymore if there s a way to stop it. Can anyone help?
Old 04-07-2022, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Stop Pro Tools from automatically assigning inputs to new audio tracks?

A couple of things to consider on this:
#1-for track that you won't record over(as you describe for imported), there is no need to do anything to the input besides ignore it.
#2-If you always record from the same input, there are 2 options(maybe more, but these come to my mind):
A-delete all inputs EXCEPT the 1 you always use(so a new track will default to that input). Or:
B-create a Track Template with the correct input assigned and create your new tracks from that template, instead of the usual "generic" audio track option.

For those new to Track Templates, watch some youtube videos showing them in action(a video is much better than my blabbing). And, remember that a "Track Template" can actually be a set of tracks(Example, I have a Track Preset for drums that actually has 12 AUDIO tracks, 3 AUX tracks and a VCA track. All color-coded with plugins and sends all dialed up)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-12-2022, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Stop Pro Tools from automatically assigning inputs to new audio tracks?

Another possibility which takes a couple clicks after you create a bunch of audio tracks:

As soon as the set of tracks is brand new, they will all be selected.

You could hold opt+shift (Mac) or alt+shift (Windows) and then select an input.

Either:
A) choose No Input for all the selected.
B) choose the same input for all the selected

Note, when you Shift+Opt+Command (Mac), it lines the input or output in a cascade (1,2,3,4,...,etc)

This works for Aux Bus inputs too. Set Aux 1 to Aux 12 to listen to Bus 13 to Bus 25 for example. (It starts on the track you click the input selector, then wraps around to the first selected.)

Last edited by nednednerb; 06-12-2022 at 08:17 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-13-2022, 02:15 AM

I would love this option.

Also, have the tracks created by offline bounces have the bus input it just recorded so I can punch in without manually assigning all the right busses.