Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2022, 01:56 PM

Default FR Guide Track - Matching Field Recorder Channels show NO RESULTS

Hello everyone,

I’m working on a short film and I faced an issue with matching field recorder channels. I assigned my FRT track to be the Field Recorder Guide Track then selected the Production Sound folder for “Areas to Search”. Now when I right click the track to find “Matching Field Recorder Channels” I get no results.
My current Match Criteria are match by Timecode + Shoot Date + Scene and Take + Channel Name + Channel Number. I tried matching by Timecode + First 5 Characters. Also Tape Name + Sound Roll Name. All NO results.
It’s worth noting that the synced AAF track I got from the editor are linked to the Production Sound folder but their names don’t match.

Anyone know what’s the issue?
Old 04-15-2022, 02:03 PM

Default Re: FR Guide Track - Matching Field Recorder Channels show NO RESULTS

FYI a repost of https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=419600

--

SoundGurl - Normally DUC guidelines discorage multiple postings of the same problem as you end up wasting other users time as they repeating stuff in different threads. Here you likely originally started a thread in not the best forum area to get help and so starting a new one in the post forum area is probably a good idea, but at least a link back to the other thread is nice. And maybe a mod can merge these threads into the post forum area.
Old 04-15-2022, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
FYI a repost of https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=419600

--

SoundGurl - Normally DUC guidelines discorage multiple postings of the same problem as you end up wasting other users time as they repeating stuff in different threads. Here you likely originally started a thread in not the best forum area to get help and so starting a new one in the post forum area is probably a good idea, but at least a link back to the other thread is nice. And maybe a mod can merge these threads into the post forum area.

Hi Darryl,

I posted the problem here because I was advised to in the original thread because it is related to post production. I just joined the community and I don’t know how to merge two threads, maybe a mod can help me out.
Old 04-15-2022, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundGurl View Post
Hi Darryl,

I posted the problem here because I was advised to in the original thread because it is related to post production. I just joined the community and I don’t know how to merge two threads, maybe a mod can help me out.
That's OK, you can't merge threads a mod can. I'm glad you added this thread to the post forum and think you'll have more chance here to get seen by more folks here might have ideas to help you. There is a lot of good stuff in this forum areas for folks who work in post.
Old 04-15-2022, 03:12 PM
Sounds In Sync

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundGurl View Post
Hello everyone,
Anyone know what’s the issue?
The thing you need to work out is what metadata matches between the AAF and/or AAF media and the location WAV files. There's a lot of things that can stop this process from working. It depends if the location recordist created the WAVs correctly, if the picture editor ingested the media correctly (if they did at all, as they may have cut with the camera files only) and if the editor exported the AAF correctly.

For full disclosure I am the creator of EdiLoad. This may be able to help you to figure out why you are not able to find a match or simply provide you with a "conform reference track" that will work for you. You can download the app and activate a three day trial yourself. I'd be happy to extend this if required.

Here's my conform/assembly blog post that contains a video which goes through the whole process. Even if you don't use EdiLoad, it may help you to work out why this isn't working for you within Pro Tools.

Note that the video in the blog post above demonstrates EdiLoad v3. The current version EdiLoad v4 can now import an AAF (rather being restricted to EDLs) and it then exports an AAF that contains the correct metadata that you load into Pro Tools to expand.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Mark
www.soundsinsync.com

Last edited by mfranken; 04-15-2022 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Adding current info re EdiLoad v4
Old 04-17-2022, 06:10 AM

I regularly get handed AAFs that contain audio with different file names as part of the editor's ingest and workflow styles. Usually it isn't too consequential when using Pro Tools field recorder workflow. The big spanner in the works is whether or not they jammed everything to timecode during production. Depending on the budget of the short film, they may not have. It might be worth asking some questions if you haven't already.

Another totally unexpected curveball that I have experienced is receiving production sound via dropbox. On one particular project I worked on, there was just something within the dropbox storage process that totally messed up the metadata and field recorder workflow. Audio from dropbox just wouldn't sync with the same no results... while copying the same files over from the production drive worked just fine. Super weird.

A free application like Sound Devices Wave Agent might be helpful in checking metadata of the original production sound, and the AAF audio just to get an insight into what is going on.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 04-17-2022, 06:11 PM

I just worked on a project where it didn't match anything either. I had to resort to Match by Timecode, which pulled in 90 tracks. 12 of which were the correct ones. It was a challenge to find the right 12 A total PITA but It had to be done.