How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2021, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Atmos 7.1.4 PT and Logic

https://www.apple.com/dm/us/21/B4F32...01_hero_2x.jpg

Hey here you go, the new release that will work with Logic ATMOS . All that time I’ve waisted in great ATMOS rooms, LOL!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2021, 10:49 PM

Here are a few infos about the Atmos integration in Logic.

Yes, it is great to get that tool into more hands (for no extra cost). Although I'm afraid that there will be some really strange Atmos mixes ending up on the streaming services from "producers" who didn't take the the same to actually educate themselves what they are doing, or what they need to do.

Yes, it is the real deal, the Dolby Atmos Renderer, but be aware, this is a limited feature set. It is more like the GarageBand edition of the DAR. For example, only one Bed, no Trim and Downmix Controls, no Spatial Coding Emulation, no Limiter options and Gain Reduction Meters.

I find the implementation really problematic. It is placed on top of Logic's bad Surround implementation.
* Bed Tracks are not indicated as Beds and only identified by the Surround Output routing and the used Surround Panner.
* An Object Bed is also set to the Surround Output, although it is routed directly to the Dolby Atmos Plugin without using the Surround busses.
* You are changing a Bed Track to an Object Track by selecting the 3D Object Panner and switching back is even more non-logical.
* Switching a Project to an Atmos Project is as easy as selecting Dolby Atmos from a popup menu. However, switching back requires a specific 10 step procedure of un-logical steps.
* You can apply fx plugins on the Master Channel Strip before the Atmos Plugin, but that applies to the Bed Tracks and not the Object Tracks.
Considering that the majority of Logic users don't have a solid technical background (or are just not interested, as many musicians), they might have a hard time getting around with their typical "click here and click there" approach.
If you want to find out more about the Dolby Atmos integration in Logic, I posted a very in-depth video in my YouTube channel with signal flow diagrams, illustrating what is going on under the hood.
https://youtu.be/-WWhJQNo2zU
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Old 11-15-2021, 02:50 AM

Well done!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk