Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-19-2012, 08:59 AM

Default Mbox 3 Mini driver problems/RAM question

I'm using a Mbox 3 Mini and I've had problems with random distortion when any version of the drivers are installed that resembles bass (not sure what this would be called exactly - it's not the usual crackling you would get with buffer settings). Happens in all programs - Fl Studio, Pro Tools, Firefox, etc. Shutting down and reopening all programs (or waiting a couple minutes) will temporarily fix the issue - opening the DAWs preferences and changing the buffer to 512 then back to 1024 helps too.

Uninstalling the drivers is the only way to get rid of the distortion entirely - but because there are no drivers Pro Tools does not find/recognize the Mbox & Fl studio will not allow recording from inputs.

Also: I use 32 bit version of Windows XP so I'm stuck with about 3.5GB RAM. I just recently installed a 1GB video card and noticed it's gotten worse (From what I've been told this is because the video card RAM is included in the 32 bit versions 4GB cap?).

The problems still occurred with Windows 8 (consumer preview 64 bit version) so I'm thinking 4GB of RAM might not be enough for what I'm doing. Just wondering if anyone knows any other possible solutions

Windows XP (32 bit)
i5 2400
Asus P8H67-M LE
GeForce GT220 1 GB
4GB RAM 1333
Mbox 3 Mini

EDIT: Problem happened in Windows 7 also which is why I reinstalled Windows XP. I've done the recommended settings from the sticky with both OS. The only thing solutions that I find say to change buffer rate even at really high settings it still happens. I can run at 512 with no crackling - only problem is the distortion
Old 09-19-2012, 09:09 AM

I know you've said you've done it. But the system optimizations and win 7 64 bit are your best Bret to mitigate. Disable the Mbox mini as a windows audio device. Disable network card. Check the ignore errors box in payback engine. Best I can tell this happens when sample rate tries to change while the device is streaming.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2