Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 09-14-1999, 02:48 AM

Default How to configure SC for external control??

Hi,

I would appreciate help from any of you SampleCell mavens out there. I have a SC II 32MB in my old NuBus PPC 7100, which has taken on a backseat role since the acquisition of a speedy G3 PowerBook. How can I access all 16 channels of the SampleCell from an external MIDI source (the PowerBook). This way I can essentially turn my 7100 into a dedicated sampler.

I can get SC to play one channel at a time from external MIDI if the SC Editor 'pass MIDI thru...' preference is checked. I got it to sort of work on multi channels by running Studio Vision on the 7100 with an input map enabled, but surely OMS allows some simpler way to do this? I don't see why there is not an option to connect SC directly to a serial port in the OMS configuration.

Anyone figure out how to do this?

Brian
Old 09-14-1999, 04:10 PM
Avid

Default Re: How to configure SC for external control??

It would be nice if OMS provided a means for this, but it doesn't. However, there is a free little utility which does this quite well, and you don't even have to be Enlightened to use it. You can find it at

http://www2.cybernex.net/~jonwitte/MidiThru.html

Also, if you use Max, you can set it up by just connecting an input node to an output node.

-Paul Vercellotti
Digi Engineering

[This message has been edited by PaulV (edited 09-14-99).]

Paul Vercellotti
Avid Engineering
Old 10-19-1999, 09:22 AM

Default Re: How to configure SC for external control??

We have three Samplecell Nubus Cards in a Centris 650. The Samplecell PCI cards are no different from the Nubus version so we never upgraded, however we're running digital video in our sequencer so that is in a seperate, faster computer. We are able to access all 16 channels on each card (48 channels) by using a Studio 4 (anything made later than that will also work...Studio 5, 64XTC, etc). In the OMS Setup you'll see icons for each samplecell card along with you're midi interface icon. Click on the midi interface icon and add a generic device for each samplecell card. Setup up the generic devices to receive incoming midi only. Now, open up the Studio patches editor and create a new patch (command-p). Change the patch to map all incomming midi from the generic device to each samplecell card. If you can not navigate through the Studio patches editor, email me and I'll walk you through that part.
Also, if you don't already own an Opcode midi interface, all is not lost. There's an apple utility called patchbay that I believe is over ten years old now (but don't worry, we have it running on a 7100 with a G3 upgrade card on system 8.6). Email me and I can send it to you with intstructions on how to use it.

------------------
fubar