Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 09-29-2009, 05:14 PM

Default QuickTime Pro question

I have QuickTime Pro on my computer, but I have recently upgraded to Pro Tools 8. I now have two system drives on the computer.

I have a movie that I am able to play when I boot from 10.4.11 with QuickTime Pro Version 7.6.2 (1327).

When I boot from 10.5.8 and try to open the same movie with QuickTime Pro version 7.6.4 (1327.73) I get this message:

The movie could not be opened.
The file is not a movie file.

It has the same QT logo and is the same file. Am I missing a component in the new system? I can open in the old system and then export the movie, but that will take quite a lot of time. The movie is over two hours of a live concert that I'm mixing. I could mix it in 7.4 but what fun is that???

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Old 09-30-2009, 02:24 AM

Default Re: QuickTime Pro question

Do it in 7.4 to day, and let it convert over night. Then continue in 8 tomorrow. Not a high tech solution, but will let you work.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:59 AM

The Quicktime Pro which u have is Cracked???? if so then the code is for tiger only and not for leopard you will have to check for QT pro code for leopard..
Old 09-30-2009, 04:05 AM

He does not say that it was with a cracked verion of QT. Anyway the moviefile should have played fine. The main difference between standard and pro is export options, not playback.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Mixing View Post
I have QuickTime Pro on my computer, but I have recently upgraded to Pro Tools 8. I now have two system drives on the computer.

I have a movie that I am able to play when I boot from 10.4.11 with QuickTime Pro Version 7.6.2 (1327).

When I boot from 10.5.8 and try to open the same movie with QuickTime Pro version 7.6.4 (1327.73) I get this message:

The movie could not be opened.
The file is not a movie file.

It has the same QT logo and is the same file. Am I missing a component in the new system? I can open in the old system and then export the movie, but that will take quite a lot of time. The movie is over two hours of a live concert that I'm mixing. I could mix it in 7.4 but what fun is that???

Thanks in advance.

Steve
I have seen this when the movie file is placed in folders with an illegal characters in the Path to the Movie (or the file itself has illegal Charachters in the Name)
Simply check the folders that contain the movie to see that there isn't a "/" oe a ":" etc in the folder name.
hope this helps
Simon L.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:52 AM

+1 sleadley, had the same problem and the same solution cured it, avoid illegal characters at all cost.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:04 AM

If the folder/illegal characters is the problem, then you could just Save As and make it self contained . . . shouldn't take too long.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:29 PM

Sorry it's so long getting back. It seems that the .mpg file needs a video component in order to play. It didn't used to in my older version of Quicktime. So, I bought it online from Apple for 19.99. I do own my copy of QuickTimePro, so that's not the problem.

Here's a link to the codec.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2/

It plays, but it's still a bit of a drag because (a) it won't import the Audio with the movie. It asks me where I want to put it, then does nothing. The other problem (b) is the playback of that video inside of Pro Tools is really bad. Too jerky to be useful. It's fine in Q T Pro.

I imported the audio and video separately, but I think I should open the file again in QT Pro, and export the whole thing as something more friendly to PT. What would your advice be on that format? I can have my laptop do this while I get started on the mixes with what I have.

Thanks for all of the replies.

Steve
Old 09-30-2009, 03:51 PM

MPEG needs the MPEG2 playback component which needed to be purchased from Apple. It also could have been installed with any number of bundles - like the FCP bundle, DVD Pro, etc.,
You probably have it installed on the one partition and not the other.
Look in the System/Library/Quicktime folder for the QuickTimeMPEG2.component
You can make a copy of it and move it to the other partition (as long as you have admin privileges).
Old 09-30-2009, 05:10 PM

Thanks Jim. You had the right answer. I just bought it again and installed it. Not sure where it would have come from on the other drive. I've never installed Final Cut or DVD Pro. I do have Logic Pro, but it's working on both set ups.

What is the best format to export for Pro Tools so that I can get the stereo audio into Pro Tools in one shot?

Steve