Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-21-2009, 08:40 AM

Default Cloning question

Hi. I was wondering what the general consensus is regarding the best cloning program for Mac. I'm running both 10.4.6 and 10.5.8 and I'm considering Carbon Copy Cloner, Super Duper, and LaCie's Silverkeeper.
Thanks for any comments on this.

Jeff
Old 09-21-2009, 08:52 AM

Default Re: Cloning question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNS View Post
Hi. I was wondering what the general consensus is regarding the best cloning program for Mac. I'm running both 10.4.6 and 10.5.8 and I'm considering Carbon Copy Cloner, Super Duper, and LaCie's Silverkeeper.
Thanks for any comments on this.

Jeff
I haven't tried either of the others, but i recently used Super Duper for cloning (& booting from) a protools system, with good results.

i think a couple of apps/plugs needed their serial codes re-entering on first launch from the cloned system, that's all.

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 09-21-2009, 08:58 AM

Everyone seems to swear by CCC - I myself, have NEVER had any problems with it, and it's now Free.

Only real disadvantage, is it takes about 4x as long as OS X's built in Disk Utility.

I make regular Images of my system drive, restore them to new Upgraded Drives, and restore in emergency situations when a System has become corrupt, generally using OS X Disk Utility, for almost a decade.

I admit, the road got bumpy in Tiger, when 3 or even 4 "Dot revisions" of OS X 10.4.x" Disk Utility was broken... this turned ALOT of people away, and onto SuperDuper and CCC - Both of which I own (For that reason) and are Fantastic... but again...

Disk Utility will make a Compressed Disk Image of my System drive from about 165gb down to 95gb for Storage, in about an hour... CCC takes about 4hrs, and won't compress, for Storage.

I think you're safe with what ever you Go with btwn OSX, CCC, or SuperDuper.... however I've "Heard" nightmares about Silverkeeper - I DONT have ANY personal experience with it, maybe those nightmares could be corroborated, or dispelled by other users here - Done properly, CCC and OS X Disk Utility get my Full endorsement, I've cloned and Imaged Hundreds of times, and still do, on a monthly Basis - Good luck !

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 09-21-2009, 09:15 AM

I'm one of those who've seen nightmares with Silverkeeper. It wasn't my data, but i was called in by a friend to try and solve his problems. After retrieving, permissions were all over the place. The problem was resolved and the same user has done some correct retrieves since, but considering my flawless experience with CCC, I don't see the point in taking the risk. CCC and SD don't put you on LaCie's mailing list, either. When cloning is involved, I personally don't much care about time but KingFish raises an excellent point about DU being fast.

In the end, they all work pretty much as advertised. Drive cloning is pretty simple, after all.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:20 AM

Thanks for the post KingFish. I was wondering if there are any issues with creating a Disk Image of an entire hard drive, and saving it to the same drive that you are imaging. Is this bad practice? Also, how do you go about restoring an image of a drive and replacing the old one?
Old 09-21-2009, 09:48 AM

I use to use CCC but switched a few years ago to SuperDuper and swear by it.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:21 AM

SuperDuper Here A+
Keeps all my NI auths.
Free or $small for incremental BU's ++
At some-point I'll try their sandbox mode which sound interesting for multi-user environments. (Anyone tried this?)

Mostly OS 10.5.8 & some 10.6.1
All PT's 8.0.1 HD/LE
Old 09-21-2009, 10:27 AM

+1 for super duper. I rely on it.

Mac Pro 2008 (Harpertown) -- OS X 10.8.2 -- 16GB RAM -- WD Black Drives -- UA Apollo Quad -- Pro Tools 10 w/ CPTK
Old 09-21-2009, 10:37 AM

Having a large number of systems and a good network we use Deploy Studio but this isn't for everyone

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 09-21-2009, 10:39 AM

Thanks for all the comments so far. I had just decided to go with CCC and then the Super Duper gang chimed in so I guess I need to still do a little more research on the differences between the two. I probably was subconciously hoping everyone would say that all but one were terrible. Not complaining, though. The more facts from you all the better. Decisions, decisions still.

Jeff