Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-15-2010, 03:03 PM

Default Recording in real studio, mixing at home w/ Pro Tools, mastering at real studio

If I record a song at a real studio, and I bring all the .wav files home, and mix them on a PC using Pro Tools LE, then master it at a real studio, what do I lose in the way of sound quality? It's just a rock song with two guitars, bass, drums and vocals. The studio uses Steinberger Nuendo.
What if I mix it and master it at the studio and load it into Pro Tools and EQ it a little bit? Do I lose anything?
Old 05-15-2010, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Recording in real studio, mixing at home w/ Pro Tools, mastering at real studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by scummyjob View Post
If I record a song at a real studio, and I bring all the .wav files home, and mix them on a PC using Pro Tools LE, then master it at a real studio, what do I lose in the way of sound quality? It's just a rock song with two guitars, bass, drums and vocals. The studio uses Steinberger Nuendo.
It depends on what you have at home in the way of gear. If you don't have a good quality monitoring environment, you are going to make incorrect judgments regarding the mix. By environment, I mean the whole signal chain from audio interface to monitors to room acoustics.

Quote:
What if I mix it and master it at the studio and load it into Pro Tools and EQ it a little bit? Do I lose anything?
You might want to study up a little on what mastering is actually for.

Maybe what you are asking is will your computer inherently degrade the original in some way. I would say no, only the human aspects of it will do the damage.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Recording in real studio, mixing at home w/ Pro Tools, mastering at real studio

Your hypothetical has less to do with gear and far more to do with the skill of the operator(s).
Really.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:39 PM

Thanks y'all, if I screw it up, it's my fault and not the computer or software.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:57 PM

you really should not have to eq anything after you master, like someone here said, read up a bit on mastering and you will see why very quickly.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:12 AM

Really don't take it as an offence, but if you have a question like this, you should give your material to engineer/mastering eng., and don't touch it after.

Really read about the whole process. Don't make it upside down.
The correct order would be, read-read-practice-practice-, etc.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scummyjob View Post
Not a good idea...
actually, it shouldn't even be 1...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)