Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 04-16-2013, 04:57 PM

Default routing to amp without pro tools

I am trying to run the signal from my dcam soft synth on my cp through the rack and out my fender tube amp without PT. Having trouble figuring it out. What is the best way to handle this? Thanks everyone.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:34 PM

Default Re: routing to amp without pro tools

the 11R was not really meant for that. Why would you want to run the synth through a real amp? Why not just run it out the main outs to monitors/speakers?

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? We may be able to offer better help if we know what you are trying to achieve.

I guess the easiest way to do it would be just use a XLR to 1/4 from the main to the input of the amp, that would work, but its not really the right level to go into an amp. I don't know anything about the amp you mentioned, so make sure this won't damage your amp.

Another way would be a 1/4 from the headphone out into the amp, but again this is not the kind of level you want. This may cause damage to your amp, so read the amp manual before trying any of this.

If you are just wanting to hear the synth through a speaker, then a guitar amp is not the way to go. You would want a FRFR speaker or a small PA, and even better (for studio use) would be a pair of studio monitors.

How are you liking the Dcam synth package? I'm thinking of buying it.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-21-2013, 04:49 PM

Default Re: routing to amp without pro tools

Here is something else you might try. I just checked it with Geist in Standalone and it works, so assuming Dcam gives you the same option for outputs, this should work.

In Dcam, change your OUTPUT to RE-AMP L/R

Then on the Eleven Rack change your RIG INPUT to RE-AMP
bypass everything in the rig, or turn on/off effects as you want.

Use a 1/4" cable from one of the AMP OUT's to the input of your guitar amp.

You should now be able to hear the synth. If not, make sure the volume is up and you are adjusting the correct vol parameter for which ever rig out you chose.

ALSO

If you don't want to bypass everything in the Rig, you can change the input point to RIG INPUT instead of RIG OUTPUT.

There may be other ways of doing this if your amp has an effects return, so read the amp manual to avoid damage to your amp.

This is not really an ideal way to hear a synth, as the guitar cab is more limited in range and boosts/cuts frequencies in way that is good for guitar, but not good to hear a whole mix through. So, it would still be best to get some studio monitors so you are hearing things accurately.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio