Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 12-11-2013, 08:28 AM

Default OMF/AAF from Premiere

Anyone getting projects from Premiere that retain the source timecode embedded in the audio files? We finally gave up and exported the .xml to Final Cut and then used Automatic Duck to PT. Oh yes, I then opened that in PT 10 and then worked in PT 11….eventually.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:26 AM

Default Re: OMF/AAF from Premiere

Same workflow here.
Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64GB RAM OSX 13.6, PT Ultimate 2023.12 HDn, MTRX Studio, 2x Avid S1, PT Dock...
Old 12-11-2013, 06:17 PM

[QUOTE]Anyone getting projects from Premiere that retain the source timecode embedded in the audio files? We finally gave up and exported the .xml to Final Cut and then used Automatic Duck to PT. Oh yes, I then opened that in PT 10 and then worked in PT 11….eventually.[QUOTE]

I get OMF from PP all the time, works fine with source timecode embedded in audio file. I also open it in PT 10 then PT 11. The only problem i've had, and a quite scary one, is sometimes all audio files are offline in PT 11. The OMF situation in PT 11 is such a mess, i can't wait tip they fix it.

Btw, i'm on PP CS6 CC.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:48 AM

So to be clear, my circumstance is the recording of several live performances, done of course at different times, with 24 hour ref tc, embedded in the .wav files. This is your meaning? We tried several ways exporting from Premiere, but timecode wasn't retained. So what steps do you take in making this happen? Thanks.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudoo View Post

I get OMF from PP all the time, works fine with source timecode embedded in audio file. I also open it in PT 10 then PT 11. The only problem i've had, and a quite scary one, is sometimes all audio files are offline in PT 11. The OMF situation in PT 11 is such a mess, i can't wait tip they fix it.

Btw, i'm on PP CS6 CC.
You're doing the impossible. AAF can reference the source timecode, OMF can't. All it's giving you is the timecode of where that audio belongs on the timeline, not the timecode generated by the recorder.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:11 PM

Hi Mitch,

My bad, i was talking about timecode from PP timeline and not the original source timecode.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudoo View Post
Hi Mitch,

My bad, i was talking about timecode from PP timeline and not the original source timecode.
No problem. We tried AAF, but the problem is dealing with multi-cam in Premiere. When you flatten the timeline something screwy happens. I really don't think it's possible at this time.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:41 AM

Hey Mitch,

Have you guys tried running the OMF through Audition? An editor did that for me to get things to open in PT8 correctly -- he was on CS5.5. I now have PT 10/11 and he has CS6. But I wonder if the hand-off to Audition is done without stripping. Might be worth a shot.

Tom
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 12-13-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
Hey Mitch,

Have you guys tried running the OMF through Audition? An editor did that for me to get things to open in PT8 correctly -- he was on CS5.5. I now have PT 10/11 and he has CS6. But I wonder if the hand-off to Audition is done without stripping. Might be worth a shot.

Tom
Yeah Tom, I would like to explore that as well, but time is not our friend and we went with the Premiere to FCP to PT 10 solution. A good reason to keep FCP around! I thought that since the Automatic Duck guys went to work at Adobe that this would of been a no-brainer.