Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2009, 10:50 AM

Default hooking alesis adat to project mix

I just purchased an alesis blackface adat so I could add 8 extra inputs to my project mix. Didnt have a whole lot of time to try to get it working. The Adat came with 2 lightpipe cables but no clock cables. I ran the lightpipe cables properly from the adat to my project mix but I am unable to get the extra channels in my pro tools. I messed around with my I/O setting and still couldnt get anything to happen. I also set my adat as a slave. The person i urchased the adat from told me the lightpipe cables were all i needed, Is this true or do I need a wordclock cable to run from my adat to my project mix.

I guess the best things to ask would be..... does anyone use a similar setup? Could anyone offer a step by step setup for an Alesis Blackface ADAT and a Project Mix.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-11-2009, 06:15 PM

Default Re: hooking alesis adat to project mix

UPDATE:
Figured I would update in case someone down the road has the same problem. I am also still looking for suggestions as I am still unsure if this is the best way to set this up.

I have successfully hooked the Adat to my Project Mix and I can record 16 tracks at once. I have the lightpipe in and out connected from the project mix to the adat. I had to go into my adat and use the pitch control to change the sample rate to 44.1 (there is nothing in the adat manual about this but if you scroll through the pitch it will eventually show 44.1). Next I had to open my m audio control panel and set the sync source to external digital. This is something I am unsure of. I would much rather use the sync source from the project mix but every way I try causes noise and periodic clicks.

Any suggestions on the achieving the best results and sound quality using this adat setup would be very much appreciated!

ps....is it possible to hook 2 project mix consoles together through adat ?? im pretty sure the answer is no...but figured i would check.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:07 AM

Default Re: hooking alesis adat to project mix

im trying to figure out the same problem. im using a project mix and want to light pipe a presonus firestudio into it. i went into m-audio firewire panel and choose adat in and out. I was told to use sync: internal digital unmuted. i will try external though and see what happens. i also created the path of 9-16 optical channels. i am still not getting it to sync. any help would be apreciated!