Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 04-07-2009, 10:24 PM

Default Recording Latency

I've been having some periodic trouble with recording latency. When I'm recording, the playback of my live performance is off, and when I play it back it is not sinked up perfectly. I have adjusted the H/W buffer size in the playback engine to the lowest setting, which I understand should help. Yet, still, I have some latency problems. This is not a problem I have all the time, it just seems periodic. Does anyone have an idea of something else I could adjust to improve this problem?
Old 04-08-2009, 12:04 AM

Default Re: Recording Latency

i'm pretty sure PTMP doesnt offer 100% zero latency. Even with my buffer size at 128 I still get a bit of latency but not enough that it causes my tracks to be noticeably out of sync.

Im not sure what you set up is..but you could pick up a mixer with as many channels as you need and use it as a monitor mixer. Mute the channel you are recording onto in pro tools so you dont hear the latency while recording and use the signal from your mixer to hear what you are recording This way you can keep your buffer size high and use lots of plug ins as you go.

The down side is that you will have to hear an unprocessed signal while you are recording.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:50 AM

Recording latency should not affect playback. Do you per chance have any latency inducing plug-ins instantiated?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-08-2009, 08:48 AM

Smashbox, I get caught up in the language used on the board at times... You mentioned picking up a mixer..??, and using it as a monitor mixer.. muting the chanel you're recording to in Pro Tools, which will allow you to use a high buffer size, allowing more plug-ins to be used.. That sounds really good to me, being able to use more plug-ins. My question is the mixer.. I've got the Project Mix I/O which I assume is my mixer?? What would I have to buy in order to do what you were talking about in the last post, and how would you set up the monitor mixer? Thanks, Richrd
Old 04-08-2009, 10:13 AM

I am getting the sense that this is all new to you(and I mean no offense here) so let's slow down a bit and break down a few points. Another poster's reference to a mixer was pointing to an analog mixer(like a Mackie) and not your Project Mix, which is really a controller. My 2 cents is; you don't need a mixer. If your computer will handle it, set the buffer to 64 or 128, which will keep the latency very low. Also, avoid plugins that have a lot of latency(at least while you are recording tracks). (I know you have already mentioned this but I tossing it in for other newbies). What is your live performance? Are you playing guitar, singing, playing a VI with a midi keyboard(where midi latency might be a contributor)? What you are recording may offer us reasons why latency is creeping in on you. Again, not meaning to offend but, is it possible you don't have great meter(sad to admit but I know I don't)? In which case, the solution is practice, practice, practice. Is there the option for Low Latency Monitoring (bottom of the Options drop-down menu)? That option is part of regular LE firewire setups. Anyway, more details can't hurt

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-09-2009, 09:35 PM

RichrdC, If the ProjectMix is similar to the Fast Track Ultra you probably have a hardware control window that will enable you to set mixer levels external to Pro Tools. In the FTU, this window gives me 8 channels of Input(Direct off the inputs with no latency) and 8 channels of software return (From the Pro Tools outputs). I have noticed that I get the latency if I take the outputs from PT since they are processed, but not from the 8 ins. So for recording, I set the mix going to the artists to take in ch 1-2 from Pro Tools which is just playback and then I mute the track I am recording to and output the direct in to their mix. It works great with no latency. As mentioned above, the downside is that it will be dry with no plugin processing.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:26 AM

albee1952 is right. I was referring to a separate analog mixer such as a mackie. When I replied I was unsure of your setup. When I used a delta 1010 a while back I used a mackie 24/8 mixer and I would plug everything into the mixer and run from the direct outs of the mixer to my 1010. It allowed me to monitor my mix from there before it hit my sound card and I could mute my pro tools channels while hearing playback from the Mackie.
(In this setup I also had the output of my sound card going into 2 channels on the mixer and the L and R outs on my mixer going to my monitors. It gave me lots of play with headphone mixes and such.)

With a project mix you would have to buy a split snake or cable splitters. What you would do is split the signal or you instrument or mic so that one goes to the analog mixer and one goes to the project mix.

That doesn't really solve your problem its just a way around it. You should be able to use your project mix just fine without latency issues if your computer is fast enough or you keep your plug in count low.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:29 AM

Hey guys, Thanks for coming back regarding the latency issue and plug-ins. Albee, yeah, I'm pretty new at this.. Really been getting a bit more serious though.. I'm running a Dell laptop 5150, Pentium 3, 4 gig Ram with the Project Mix.. I'm playin' guitar, bass, some keyboard, laying individual tracks at a time, and loving every minute of it. I don't set up to record an entire band live at this point because I am the band!!

My interest was peaked when Smashbox mentioned the extra monitor mixer. I was thinking it might be a way to allow the use of the low buffer settings in a session with many plug-ins operating and not expierience the session stopping and asking for a higher buffer size during playback..

Thanks Smashbox, Cbarddigi and Albee for the insights.. I learn alot reading all your posts that's for sure.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:22 PM

The idea behind using an extra analog mixer is that rather than setting a "low" buffer size you can set it to the highest buffer size and use more plugins. There will be lots of latency happening but you will not hear it because the tracks you will be recording onto in PT will be muted while you record. By doing this you would have to have a very very high amount of plugins loaded before your session stops. And when it does stop you will know that you are at your computers max for plugins even with the highest buffer size.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:39 PM

That is exactly what I'm thinking about... thanks again smashbox..