Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2006, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Automap for Novation ReMOTE SL now available!

Yeah, I tried changing the functionality of the bottom rotaries but it cannot be done unfortunately.
1GB RAM
2 X Seagate Barracuda 80GB HDD
Novation Remote SL MIDI Controller
Old 06-29-2008, 05:32 AM

Anyone have first hand experience with how Automap2 works with PT Vi's and Plugs? I'm looking at the Remote 37 SL but there seems to be very little pro tools specific feedback on how effective it is....
Old 06-29-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Anyone have first hand experience with how Automap2 works with PT Vi's and Plugs? I'm looking at the Remote 37 SL but there seems to be very little pro tools specific feedback on how effective it is....
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...1&itemid=31314

"Installation of the “Novation Automap Universal 2 control surface” software may cause Pro Tools to crash with no error message. This has been noticed when using AudioSuite plug-ins or other Pro Tools software features. Unsaved changed will be lost.
Digidesign does not qualify Novation's Automap Universal 2 software with Pro Tools. Support for Automap Universal 2 software should be directed to Novation via novationmusic.com.

Workaround:
Uninstall Novation Automap Universal 2 software. "

Not really very encouraging - I was looking to get a Remote Zero SL, some kind of indication as to whether this is going to ever be resolved would be helpful.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...1&itemid=31314

"Installation of the “Novation Automap Universal 2 control surface” software may cause Pro Tools to crash with no error message. This has been noticed when using AudioSuite plug-ins or other Pro Tools software features. Unsaved changed will be lost.
Digidesign does not qualify Novation's Automap Universal 2 software with Pro Tools. Support for Automap Universal 2 software should be directed to Novation via novationmusic.com.

Workaround:
Uninstall Novation Automap Universal 2 software. "

Not really very encouraging - I was looking to get a Remote Zero SL, some kind of indication as to whether this is going to ever be resolved would be helpful.
I've used this software since inception and i have never linked it to a crash without reporting. i am NOT happy with the software BTW. it promises a lot but in practice it's not for PT, just yet. i do wish it well though.

Q. Who has reported this problem? are you reading this? give us some insight....
Old 06-30-2008, 04:09 AM

Cheekypaul, can i ask you for your specific experience regarding automap. I presume you can just use the standard cc messages anyway to control if there's probalems with automap? On automap, does it work with specific VI's only for example or is it just generally buggy? I run a HD3 rig and i'm loathe to jepordise its stability with a dodgy product (however i can't help but think it would be in digi's interest to suggest that novations automap causes chaos). BTW does the transport function work well on the keyboard?
Old 06-30-2008, 08:39 AM
Avid

Quote:
Q. Who has reported this problem? are you reading this? give us some insight....
We have several calls from customers, as well as reports on the DUC, with unexplained crashes when Automap is installed. Uninstalling Automap returns the system to stable behavior.

This is just what we've experienced. We cannot and do not test every third party product out there, so YMMV.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
We have several calls from customers, as well as reports on the DUC, with unexplained crashes when Automap is installed. Uninstalling Automap returns the system to stable behavior.

This is just what we've experienced. We cannot and do not test every third party product out there, so YMMV.
what does YMMV mean?
Old 06-30-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Cheekypaul, can i ask you for your specific experience regarding automap. I presume you can just use the standard cc messages anyway to control if there's probalems with automap? On automap, does it work with specific VI's only for example or is it just generally buggy? I run a HD3 rig and i'm loathe to jepordise its stability with a dodgy product (however i can't help but think it would be in digi's interest to suggest that novations automap causes chaos). BTW does the transport function work well on the keyboard?
hi john. you tell automap which plugs you want it to work with and it makes an automap version of them. when u switch on pt, automap loads, which i'm told by novation is not a problem, but i do not believe it's completely true, and then your novation device's knobs and sliders work in a rudimentary and/or complex way. some adjustments are required to get them to work as you like, ie the amount of physical turning or sliding and their relationship with the on screen turning and sliding.
i never used the transport functions, i guess i know the pt buttons so well i couldn't make the leap completely away from the keyboard (qwerty).
my main beef with automap is that it promises more than it delivers. i'm sure it will continue to improve. it seemed like an easy way out of digi's policy of making most of these common functions only partially working with hardware that's not theirs. for instance, getting any midi device to change anything onscreen with ableton live is how it should be.
anyway, pt, just like ALL software, will sometimes crash without warning, it seems very difficult to say what causes it.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
what does YMMV mean?
Your Mileage May Vary.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 06-30-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
what does YMMV mean?
Your Mileage May Vary.
thanks spkguitar. very colourful.