Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 10-08-2006, 08:56 PM

Default PROB: Using MIDI Controller To Write VI Automation

As far as I know, there are two ways to write automation for virtual instrument plug ins. I am having some problems when trying to do it with a MIDI controller.

With mouse:
- Auto Enable VI parameter via plug-in interface. Automation track for this parameter appears in track view list.
- Select auto mode e.g. write and click play.
- Move VI parameter with the mouse.
- Automation appears in auto track for this parameter.

With MIDI Controller:
- Make sure MIDI Merge is turned on so as to not overwrite any previous controller automation.
- Record enable the relevant track, click global Record Enable and then click play.
- Move MIDI Controller parameter. This is mirrored on the VI interface.
- Automation appears in a new track view added to the "controllers" list. It has a predefined / uneditable name, followed by the CC number in brackets.

PROBLEMS...
- Cannot take advantage of automation modes with MIDI controller.
- Cannot overwrite automation on a controller track without overwiting automation on all controller tracks.
- Impossible to keep tabs on which controller track relates to which VI parameter, as the only indication is a CC number.

Is it just me or is this kind of setup / behaviour completely twisted? Anyone else encountered this problem? Work around?
1GB RAM
2 X Seagate Barracuda 80GB HDD
Novation Remote SL MIDI Controller
Old 10-08-2006, 09:44 PM

Default Re: PROB: Using MIDI Controller To Write VI Automation

Hi Equality 7-2521

MIDI Controller, you mean Command/8 or Keyboard MIDI Controller? What Virtual Instrument are you using or do you find this with all VI's?

filosofem
Old 10-09-2006, 12:38 AM

I am using a Remote SL MIDI Controller. I find this problem occurs with all VI's including all Native Instruments ones, which I use most (B4 II, Pro 53, FM7 etc.)

I suspect it is not related to the which VI is plugged in nor which MIDI controller is being use but instead PT's method of writing automation controller data in tracks. Can you varify this?
1GB RAM
Old 10-09-2006, 12:44 AM

Ahhh... yes I'd agree with that.

Ummm... your using a Novation Remote SL MIDI Controller, you are aware of Remote SL Automap? Link

filosofem
Old 10-09-2006, 12:57 AM

Yeah I am aware of and using the Automap. I have no problem automating plug-ins such as Waves, DigiRack etc. using HUI Automap mode with the SL. It behaves in the same way as when writing automation with the mouse i.e. auto enable plug in paramerter and then write the auto with the SL, which is written to the auto track created when the parameter was enabled on the plug in interface.

but....

as soon as I try to automate a virtual instrument plug in using a different template on the SL, I cannot use the automation modes and must instead record it as a normal recording pass. Then the automation is written to a track in the controllers list with a name that makes it impossible to keep track of when there are many controller automation tracks.
1GB RAM
Old 10-09-2006, 01:49 AM

Quote:
automate a virtual instrument plug in using a different template on the SL, I cannot use the automation modes and must instead record it as a normal recording pass.
Is this not the way you would record a VI Automation pass? It's a VI not a Plug-In.

Work around for this could be to left click the VI parameter, this the parameters CC assignment is shown.

filosofem
Old 10-09-2006, 07:56 AM

Well, I suppose it is the ONLY way to write a VI automation pass....with a MIDI controller. What gets me is that recording a VI automation pass with a MIDI controller does not work in the same way as when doing it with the mouse. The same VI is used, the same parameter is adjusted, in both cases the parameter moves on screen, so why should the automation be written to a completely different kind of track? Why doesnt PT treat a virtual instrument as a pug-in...isn't it an insert and, well, plugged-in?

I have never known the CC number to show when left clicking on a virtual instrument parameter. What virtual instrument are you referring to?
1GB RAM
Old 10-09-2006, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Why doesnt PT treat a virtual instrument as a pug-in...isn't it an insert and, well, plugged-in?
That's not a bad question, but I'm thinking because a MIDI Controller is in use, it must conform with the MIDI specs. Your not alone with this issue, being able to re-name the Controller number would be a great benefit.
Quote:
I have never known the CC number to show when left clicking on a virtual instrument parameter. What virtual instrument are you referring to?
If the 'Learn' function is available, 'RIGHT' clicking (my bad) can identify the Controller assignment, also Ctrl left or right clicking achieves the same result. There's no easy way around this. As I said your not alone with this, and I'm not sure if it's possible to fix.

Good luck!

filosofem
Old 10-10-2006, 02:39 AM

Yeah it would not be such a problem if the controllers could be renamed. Unfortunately I would guess that this sort of of feature would be towards the bottom of Digidesigns upgrade list. I never seen this problem mentioned on the DUC before.

Ahh yes I see what you mean about the learn function. Unfortunately most of the plug ins I use do not have the learn function and so I cannot use this as a work around.

Hmmmm.
1GB RAM
Old 10-10-2006, 04:49 AM

Word from Novation is that this automation writing behaviour results from using a controller that is not supported by Digi, hence why automation can be written normally with the PT HUI Automap template but not with any other template. *Sigh*
1GB RAM