Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-16-2011, 10:56 AM

Question Mbox 2 Mini limitations. Upgrade?

The monitoring on the Mbox 2 Mini still bothers me. According to AVID here are the instructions when recording a vocal track in Pro Tools:

When recording into Pro Tools with Mbox.
1) Mute the record enabled audio track in Pro Tools. When recording with the MBox you are actually monitoring the audio signal going to MBox. If the record enabled audio track is not muted, you will also be monitoring the signal going out of Pro Tools back to MBox. This will be heard as a doubling effect because you are hearing both the input and the latent output at the same time.
2) Adjust the "Mix" knob on MBox to prevent any echo or latency sound.
3) If you are usng and Mbox 2 Mini you can skip this test there is no Mono button and one is not required.

Press the "Mono" button on MBox. This will prevent the input signal from sounding hard panned left or right when adjusting the Mix knob on MBox. The "Mono" knob does not affect the mix playing out of Pro Tools, just the incoming signal.

I've been looking for information on this, and people say that on the cheaper Pro Tools hardware, you'll hear the signal twice unless you use some sort of Pro Tools HD system.
I also get from this, they're telling you to MUTE the vocal track when recording, which means you won't hear what is being recorded. Perhaps I've always done it wrong, but I like hearing what is being recorded at the same time.

The last part talks about a "Mono" button. If I had an Mbox Pro with the mono mute button, would this solve this problem with the Mbox 2 Mini? So, I guess what I am asking, should I upgrade to the Mbox Pro in order to get rid of this "double signal"?
Old 02-16-2011, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Mbox 2 Mini limitations. Upgrade?

Follow the Avid instructions. They are correct.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:12 AM

So, am I doing something wrong? If you mute the record enabled audio track, you're not going to hear the vocals coming through the microphone, right? Is that how it's supposed to be done? And then after recording, then listening to the recorded track?

I'm just not used to recording vocals when I can't hear what it sounds like (while wearing headphones).
Old 02-16-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoat View Post
When recording with the MBox you are actually monitoring the audio signal going to MBox.
You monitor the audio going to the MBox, not coming back from Pro Tools.
You will be hearing your vocal performance before it even reaches Pro Tools because you will be listening to the MBox input.

Follow the instructions exactly as written, and you should be good to go.
I hope this helps.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:56 PM

Thanks anothercolour for the reply! I think my issue is the fact that the MBOX 2 MINI doesn't have the "Mono Mute" button. If I just mute the record enabled track, I can't monitor through my headphones. I want to be able to hear what is being sung through the microphone. If I mute the track, it prevents me from being able to hear what is coming through the microphone.

I think the "Mono Mute" on the newer models or the MBOX 2 model is the answer to this.

This post describes the exact problem I am having:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=210336
Old 02-17-2011, 07:12 AM

Never mind the MONO button(or the lack of one). The MUTE you need to hit is the MUTE button on the recording track itself. By muting the track, you won't hear the recorded sound slightly later than the original sound. You hear the original sound by adjusting the MIX knob on the Mbox. While that makes punch-ins tough, the way to do fixes is to learn about the playlist feature and track comping. Or you can try setting the buffer to the 128 setting(or 64 if its available) and leave the MIX knob all the way to the PLAYBACK side. Now you would not mute the recording track and you would hear sound only from PT. Only you can decide if the slight delay is okay or not.(where you record, say 3 tracks of vocal, and then make a COMPosit track out of the 3 takes). There are some good tutorial videos available between AvidTV and youtube.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-17-2011, 08:52 AM

Smile Re: Mbox 2 Mini limitations. Upgrade?

Thank you albee1952 and anothercolour! Actually before reading your last post albee1952, I realized that having a mono button wouldn't solve it either. The link to the thread I posted was only for stereo recording, and I am not doing that either.

I was going to say I'll work through it, because it seems more of a lack of understanding of muting the track, the mix knob, and the latency settings. Right now I think it is at 512 samples.

albee1952, thank you! That makes a lot of sense. I think that sets me in the right direction. Much appreciation to both the responses here. I'll also see if I can find some good tutorial videos.