Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 02-26-2019, 11:09 AM

Default "CPU overload error occurred" AAE -6101

Hi everyone,
I'm new here, first post. I have two issues. My first is the same one as this thread. I had already tried pressing N and it does resolve the issue and allows me into the software. However, I have another issue. I was testing the new interface I have bought (Audient iD4), bought specifically because it had been recommended on https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/vid...udio-interface so it should be compatible with Pro Tools (as the interface I had before, the Centrance Micport Pro, wouldn't work and I think it might have been a compatibility issue with PT) and noticed that the whole system crashes after about one minute of recording one track of voiceover work with this message:
"A CPU overload error occurred. If this happens often, try increasing the "H/W buffer size" in the Playback Engine Dialog, or removing some plug-ins, (AAE - 6101).

Anyone have any idea why this is happening? I have read threads where people are having this issue but on playback or bouncing and only on projects which are multi-track and quite complex, not just on recording one simple voice track.

Starting to wonder whether Pro Tools is the right choice...

Many thanks!

Mac OS Mojave 10.14.3, Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, Memory 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Pro Tools version 2018.12, Audient iD4 audio interface.

Last edited by DigiTechSupt; 02-26-2019 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Different issue - moved to new thread.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:57 PM

Default Re: "CPU overload error occurred" AAE -6101

Mojave would be my first guess. Pro Tools is not supported on Mojave yet. Although some have claimed to have Pro Tools running on Mojave with no issues.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:56 PM

You have a nice interface, but does Audient have drivers for Mojave? If yes, have you installed them? And even if you have, as mentioned, Pro Tools is not currently qualified for Mojave.

Have you done all the OS X optimizations recommended by Avid?

If you are only going to be recording and editing one or two tracks of your own voice with little to no processing, then yes, Pro Tools would not be a great choice. Twisted Wave, Audacity or Ocenaudio come to mind. Further along would be Adobe Audition or Reaper. You could even get by with Garage Band in a pinch. Pro Tools, as you're finding out, is (very) temperamental. Avid is DIVA spelled backwards.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 02-26-2019, 05:29 PM

Thanks for your replies.
So, I had heard just today from a friend who said that I might be having issues due to PT not being compatible with Mojave. I haven't done the optimisations, no. Where do I find these recommendations?

As for the interface, there weren't any drivers to install onto my mac, one of the reasons why I chose it. When I tested it on something really short, it worked perfectly, though.

Honestly, it's quite annoying PT/Avid does not stop you from purchasing PT if you have an OS which doesn't support it (yet). It sounds like I need to use another recording software until Mojave becomes accepted by PT, or is there an alternative route, still using PT in the time being?

Many thanks!

Mac OS Mojave 10.14.3, Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, Memory 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, Pro Tools version 2018.12, Audient iD4 audio interface.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:31 PM

I just read the rest of you reply with your recommendations for other software which might be more compatible. I have been told that PT is a good standard to work with in the VO industry. I actually have a background in the music industry, but had used Cubase and Logic prior to trying out PT. It sounds like I should try these other programmes you recommended, though?

Many thanks!

Old 02-26-2019, 10:12 PM

As already stated, there isn't yet a version of Pro Tools that is compatible with Mojave, and that's probably what you see, but…

Even though the iD4 is class compliant, Audient does offer a driver and firmware download on the iD4 product page, which you could try to be sure there isn't a firmware update needed for stable operation using Mojave:

https://audient.com/products/audio-i...id4/downloads/

-matts

Last edited by Matts; 02-27-2019 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:27 PM

Well, I wish I'd known to check here before. I just assumed PT would work/want the latest OS, but you will and learn:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...m-Requirements

So, this is why I'm having problems with my CPU performance. Seems like I'm moving towards another software for recording. Will keep my eye on when PT is compatible with Mojave.

Thanks for your answers and recommendations. I appreciate it.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:59 AM

Avid and Apple are playing big games with all this "Mojave is not supported"
Times change..... Now a days I have a 2016 macbook pro to play with and experiment,while next to it I have a one third of the price , an acer window laptop work horse......it was always the other way, you know when you have customers you don`t want to see any errors popping up.

Peace

https://soundcloud.com/charlesmuscat

MacBook Pro Late 2016
Intel I7 Quod Core 2.8 GHZ
16 GB Ram . 256 GB SSD
Catalina 10.15.2

Acer Nitro
Intel I7-6700-HQ
8 GB Ram 256 GB SSD x 2
Win 10 Home 64 bit
Motu 624 AVB , Komplete Audio 6
Pro Tools Native 2020.5 , Sonar Platinum Lifetime
Old 02-28-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltastudio View Post
Avid and Apple are playing big games with all this "Mojave is not supported"
Times change..... Now a days I have a 2016 macbook pro to play with and experiment,while next to it I have a one third of the price , an acer window laptop work horse......it was always the other way, you know when you have customers you don`t want to see any errors popping up.

Peace
Don’t wanna be rude but I have no clue what this post means ... Maybe it is the language barrier but I really wanna know what you are trying to say here.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-28-2019, 01:25 PM

My translation: "I had a Mac for work, now I have a Mac for play and a PC, that cost one third the price of the Mac, for work." YMMV
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction