Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2010, 10:44 AM

Default Festival style show files

I have a high profile corporate/broadcast event coming up where the entertainment wants us to supply a D-Show. As there is not enough room at FOH for multiple consoles we will use the D-Show for the event for several days prior to the entertainment. We then have to soundcheck the 2 bands, and then return to our show for some awards, then back to the bands. the bands will use most of a 96ch system, we will try to fit our awards into the remaining channels.

How do we protect the output routing that we will be using for most of a week when we load the band's showfile? How do we protect the inputs and aux sends we will still need after soundcheck?

Thanks

Mac
Old 08-12-2010, 11:35 PM

Default Re: Festival style show files

In general, with Venue systems, although it is possible to do most of the processing on the board I would not do it and use system processing on the dedicated machine instead, just to make life easier.

Then again, if your bands will not load their files (and overwrite your settings by doing so) then you are probably starting their mixes form scratch and will have no problems as you will save all your pre-set output processing in their files as well, assuming all the system setups and tuning is done prior to the arrival of the first band.

If you do load their files and do not have standalone PA processing then if I were you I would save all the output EQ's as presets before loading their file so the EQ's can be easily recalled once their file has loaded. You have to manually fix the patching and any possible system delays you might be using.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:44 PM

Default Re: Festival style show files

Oh, and in case you are wondering you cannot protect your settings, the file loads and overwrites everything. So don't forget to save your work, so you can load your file back. It is also good idea to make a copy of your file and save it in another folder so it won't get overwritten.

Also keep in mind, that depending on the configuration differences and number of plugins used, changing from one show file to another can have a significant pause before the next file has loaded, so only change your show file when you know you won't need sound out of the speakers for as long as probably couple of minutes in worst cases. I've been burned by this, as when a band finishes and I'm changing files an announcer steps on the stage only to find out the mic does not work and then we wait...
Of course you can always run thru a small Behringer mixer with one mic input for the announcer and a line in from a D-Show