Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Dev > Pro Tools Scripting SDK Toolkit
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2023, 04:57 PM

Default My Commands Wishlist

I have like three or four automations I do right now with a mix of apple events and Keyboard Maestro that's I'd love to reproduce with PTSL, I'm just going to give the scenario here and what I wish was available in the command set that would make them happen.

1. Bounce multiple time regions automatically to multiple bounce formats
Right now I have a Keyboard Maestro script that kinda does this but it's a massive hack. What I have now recalls a list of time selections (they're clips on a dedicated track), runs Bounce to Disk, recalls a preset from the 12345 quick recall list (which one conditional on text in the marker name), then spits out a bounce (the bounce name, again, conditional on text in the marker name. It's super kludgy but it works well enough sometimes. (I'm trying to reproduce another DAWs "region render matrix" but enough about that.)

What I am missing to make this work in PTSL is:
  • Something like SetEditSelection: I can't presently set the session's edit in and out time, if I'm doing scripted bounces this is kinda indispensable.
  • A request parameter to or variant of ExportMix that would let me bounce based on a preset file.
  • ...or a little more exposure/interrogation of the video codec properties.
2. Create Markers from a text file
The script I have now reads the file and does all the keyboard dancing to make markers, but it gets tripped up sometimes when the Add Marker dialog isn't ready for text.
  • Need something like CreateMarker, that allows timed markers and time range markers, and lets the name and comment get set.
3. Prep my mix session
Right now I do all of this by hand, but I wish I could automate it. When I get a new dialogue session for one of my dubs, I do a couple housekeeping things:
  1. Create duplicate playlists for all the DIA and ADR tracks
  2. Create empty playlists for RX on thos tracks, and make them the target playlist

To make this work I'd need some playlist commands, like...
  • SetTrackSelection, particularly one that allows me to clear the current selection and add to the selected set by track name.
  • A CreateDuplicatePlaylists and CreateNewPlaylists command that acts on selected tracks.
  • A SetTargetPlaylists command that acts on selected tracks.
  • A SetActivePlaylist command that acts on a track, which probably means you'd need...
  • A GetPlaylists command that could be filtered based on the owning track's name.
4. Batch create recorder sessions
I have a KM script that opens a bunch of pre-made sessions, puts them in DPE mode and DPEs their tracks, it is very flaky as it is.
  • Would need a SetSessionDestructivePunchLength.
  • And a PrepSessionForDestructivePunch.
  • And preferably a RecordArmSelectedTracks, the way I do it now is kinda kludgy. (This also I guess implies I'd need SetTrackSelection here too.)
Mac OS X 12.6.2
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
Old 01-19-2023, 02:23 PM
Avid

Default Re: My Commands Wishlist

Hi Jamie,

Thank you for the suggestions. We have reviewed this list internally. The most likely commands for us to add will be "SetEditSelection" and "RecordArmSelectedTracks", as we have already been investigating similar operations. The other enhancements that you describe aren't planned yet, but it is super helpful to get this feedback since we will set our priorities based on what commands you and other users will find most useful.

Best,
Rob
Old 01-19-2023, 02:44 PM

Thanks fo the reply, SetEditSelection and better track selection management is a biggie for a lot of people I imagine.
Mac OS X 12.6.2
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
Old 02-28-2023, 05:34 PM

Wishlist Commands (not complete):
  • Create tracks
  • List track clips with full access to metadata/timeline location per clip
  • Spot/place arbitrary clips on a track with source offset option, length
  • Access to Relink functions, offline media lists
Basically anything an editor does manually should be included in the API
so tedious and repetitive motions/command-sequences can be handled in software as much as possible.

Last edited by TCX; 02-28-2023 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:21 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCX View Post
Wishlist Commands (not complete):
  • Create tracks
  • List track clips with full access to metadata/timeline location per clip
  • Spot/place arbitrary clips on a track with source offset option, length
  • Access to Relink functions, offline media lists
Basically anything an editor does manually should be included in the API
so tedious and repetitive motions/command-sequences can be handled in software as much as possible.
Hi TCX,

Sorry for a delay in reply and thank you for sharing your wishlist (even not complete one).
Create tracks is definitely a highest priority and we plan to add it in upcoming releases.
We'll for sure take the rest into consideration but can't share any timeline of when they are implemented.

Dmytro