Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2003, 05:22 AM

Default listening to cd\'s thru my monitors

Hi,

I have a Dell dimension desktop with a soundblaster soundcard, and a pair of event 20/20 bas I picked up recently.

How can I listen to music thru my monitors? Do I have to go out of my soundcard, into inputs on the digi, open up PT and record enable a track?

thanks.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:31 AM

Default Re: listening to cd\'s thru my monitors

nah you dont have to to that. You can run outputs from your 001 into your amp or monitors. Then you have to change the outputs on whatever program you are using to listen to your cds.
I dont even have a soundcard in my computer - my digi is my soundcard. I had to go through all of my multi-media devices to choose the digi as the output source. You just have to change in in the options or preferences of the multi-media program.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:59 AM

silence_of_stone

what multimedia systems are you using, and how did you select the digi to be the output? i'd be interested to know where that was chosen.
Fitter, Happier Studios...
Old 04-08-2003, 08:15 AM

well... here is what I have - its fairly spartan actually, and took some trial and error to get it going.
I am not looking at it right now (I am at work), but I have a stereo l/r output coming out of the 001 into the monitor system. I used two rca to 1/4" adapter jacks (I think the output is 1 and 2... but i will let you know for sure later when i get home.
I am using the windows media player to play my cds and mp3s. I simply went into options, preferences and somewhere in there is a place where you can select an output device and I chose the digi and it works fine.
I use soundforge extensivly and ran into the same problem, so I went into the preferences in soundforge and selected the digi as the output device.
Of course, using the digi as your soundcard also means that you CAN'T have protools open when you are using these other applications, but this has never been a problme for me.
Good luck.
Kev
Old 04-08-2003, 08:42 AM

so you select digi as the soundcard in the application itself, not in device manager?

bp
Old 04-08-2003, 09:18 AM

My Windows 98SE is in dutch, I don't know if in english it has the same names, this said...

Go to device manager>multimedia>audio tab and select digi 001 chan 1-2 for playback device.

If you use the Windows media player make sure digital playback is marked. Open the player and go to Tools>options>CD audio tab

Pieter
Old 04-08-2003, 10:05 AM

Have you installed the Wave driver?
Old 04-08-2003, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ptrbas:
My Windows 98SE is in dutch, I don't know if in english it has the same names, this said...

Go to device manager>multimedia>audio tab and select digi 001 chan 1-2 for playback device.

If you use the Windows media player make sure digital playback is marked. Open the player and go to Tools>options>CD audio tab

Pieter
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This is how you do it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
be sure to do it also if you have soundforge or some other editing software.
Like I said too, you will have to close PT in order to listen to other programs. ProTools is a jealous program and doesnt like any other programs to run while it is running....
Old 04-08-2003, 11:09 AM

Interesting topic.

Now how would I do it? I don't have a 001.

- Digi 002
- Sound Blaster 5.1 PCI Card (all mini plugs)
Old 04-08-2003, 10:28 PM

Hi,
Do you have to have the wave driver installed to be able to use the digi soundcard as mentioned? I would love to be able to use the 001 hardware to control the volume of all audio applications on my computer.
Thanks
Andrew

Macbook Pro Retina / 2.8GHZ / 512GB SSD / PT 2023.9