Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2017, 10:35 AM

Default Which license do I buy for PT12.8?

Hi guys,

I've been out of the PT game for a while, but i'm looking to hop back on and fully get to grips with it now. I brought PT10 as a student version, which gave me 4 years free upgrades, with which I managed to upgrade my version to PT11. Now, my 4 years upgrades has run it's course now and I need to get PT12.8 in order for PT to run on my system.
I missed the whole introduction to these annual plans that they've now brought in, so I am at an absolute loss as to which one I should get? Do I need to buy PT outright for $500+? Or could I get the annual upgrade package at $290?
Any help on this would be much appreciated! Thanks.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Which license do I buy for PT12.8?

For the basic (non HD) version the restatement upgrade cost is $299. That will last you a year. Then you'd pay $99 per year after that to get the latest releases.

CArl
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
For the basic (non HD) version the restatement upgrade cost is $299. That will last you a year. Then you'd pay $99 per year after that to get the latest releases.

CArl
Thanks man. Appreciated!
Old 07-23-2017, 01:36 PM

Whoa there .... first of all,

Let's get a few facts in place, then we can offer proper advice ...

OP, please confirm, when did you originally buy PT10 with four years of free upgrades?
What's the exact date?
Does it show up in your Avid account with a registration date?

The reason I ask, is that it is very likely you were entitled to get PT12 free of charge, as well as PT11.

Depending on the date and circumstances of original purchase, you may still be within one year of your four years of free upgrades.

So it is possible that Avid may give you your PT12 free upgrade as of the last day of your four year period. And if that is less than 12 minutes maths ago, or actually 13 months ago, as there is always a one month grace period, then you might be able to get an update plan for $99 rather than paying $299 for the reinstatement plan.

Anyway, as I say, tell us the exact details of when you purchased it originally, and we can work things up from there.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 07-23-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
Whoa there .... first of all,

Let's get a few facts in place, then we can offer proper advice ...

OP, please confirm, when did you originally buy PT10 with four years of free upgrades?
What's the exact date?
Does it show up in your Avid account with a registration date?

The reason I ask, is that it is very likely you were entitled to get PT12 free of charge, as well as PT11.

Depending on the date and circumstances of original purchase, you may still be within one year of your four years of free upgrades.

So it is possible that Avid may give you your PT12 free upgrade as of the last day of your four year period. And if that is less than 12 minutes maths ago, or actually 13 months ago, as there is always a one month grace period, then you might be able to get an update plan for $99 rather than paying $299 for the reinstatement plan.

Anyway, as I say, tell us the exact details of when you purchased it originally, and we can work things up from there.
Hey man. Registration date for PT10 was on the 12/25/11. Which I presume means 25th November 2012 (i'm from the UK, we date things slightly differently )? The latest PT upgrade I have in my subscriptions is PT 12.3.1, but that won't run with my operating system (10.12.3) so i've read.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:40 PM

I'm also in the U.K.!

So, 25th December 2011 is when your four years began.

Same date in 2015 is when it ended.

Good to know that you got a free upgrade to PT12, as you say 12.3.1 is the latest version in your account. Did you get that automatically in your account?

So, the next issue is this ...

When you were given PT12, did you get an update and support plan with it, or not? Many people didn't get one, I had to argue for mine.

If you did get one, what was it's expiry date? This is important, because you are entitled to all versions of PT12 up to that expiry date.

If you didn't get one, you should ask them about it, as you should have had one. Even though it would have run out by now, it might have got you later versions of PT12 during its 12 month lifespan than you currently have.

But, given that any such plan will have run out by now, you are faced with buying the $299 reinstatement plan to get yourself totally current again.

Sorry it's not better news.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)