Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2012, 12:51 PM

Default I/O question Motif Rack ES & Eleven Rack

Hey all, I looked around on the site here and saw some similiar threads and tried different things.... but here's my situation.

I have an Eleven Rack, works great - been using it for six months now - recording vocals, guitars, using the VI's for synth sounds (have a Alesis Q49 - 49 key midi controller - connected) etc.. I just purchased a Motif Rack ES (yes, it's older but I love the piano and strings sounds and didn't want to fork out thousands for a great sounding piano/orchestra software).

My routing is this -
Q49 midi out to Eleven Rack midi in
Motif usb to Eleven Rack (midi in/out carried through the usb)
Motif l/r out to Eleven Rack l/r line in
Eleven Rack master out to speakers

With Pro Tools open I can press the Q49 and see midi data lights AND see the sound is getting to the instrument channel. I can plug into the headphone jack of the Motif and hear sounds. I hear no sound from the Eleven Rack (as far as the Motif goes.... I can play back and hear instruments that had been record to the songs previously)

Any thoughts??? (Sorry for the long post)
UAD Apollo - Eleven Rack

www.rongreenetunes.com
www.facebook.com/rongreenetunes
Old 05-24-2012, 03:27 PM

Default Re: I/O question Motif Rack ES & Eleven Rack

After thinking... is it possible that since the motiff is not actually an "instrument" in pro tools that I need to record the midi data, make sure it's exactly what I want and then record the motif as audio????

thoughts?
UAD Apollo - Eleven Rack

www.rongreenetunes.com
Old 05-24-2012, 06:39 PM

I'm a but foggy on your setup, but I'll take a stab at it. Go to the MIX window and select(under Mix Window Shows) the Instrument option. That will add a row of boxes at the top of the MIX window tracks. Assuming you use only a stereo instrument track, that top box should show the Motif as the desired instrument. Down at the bottom of the Instrument track, there is the same INPUT option as with any kind of track, so it should be set for the 2 line inputs where the Motif audio is patched. That SHOULD make it all functional as soon as you put the track into record, or record-ready. When you enter record, your midi(as played from the keyboard controller) should be causing the Motif to make sound and it should be heard thru the instrument track. Once that works and you get the midi edited to perfection, you may want to print audio, which can be done in a few ways. 1-put a stereo AUX send on the instrument track and send to a new stereo audio track(set to the same bus as the send), 2-set the instrument track output to feed the audio track, or 3-add your stereo audio track and set its input to the same pair fed from the Motif. Have I helped or confused

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-25-2012, 03:31 PM

Albee.... I'll give it a shot this weekend (between gigs) and let you know how it turns out.

I now it's probably something stupid I'm missing But thanks for the help
UAD Apollo - Eleven Rack

www.rongreenetunes.com
Old 05-27-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenetunes View Post
Motif usb to Eleven Rack (midi in/out carried through the usb)
This doesn't seem right. Shouldn't even be possible based on the connectors.

There are a couple things you can do that should work:

Since the Q49 is just a controller (does not receive MIDI for any purpose) you can just connect Q49 MIDI out ---> 11R MIDI in

and since the Motif is "just" a sound module (for the most part, unless you are using it to play back MIDI sequences or something) you can just connect the 11R MIDI out ---> Motif MIDI in

Or you can do the better option which is to connect both devices to your computer via USB (the only way the USB ports should work) and then make sure your MIDI setup on your computer is seeing everything correctly. Usually it's easy to see right from Protools if the computer OS is recognizing any connected devices.

Your audio routing should be OK.