Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2016, 06:38 AM

Default Re: Should we install 12.6.1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseRecordings View Post
Same question here,anyone on Yosemite and PTHD12.6.1?
Thanks
10.10.5. Most stable PT/OS combination ever for me with VERY heavy VI usage.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Thanks!!!
Old 01-01-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Yeah. I was on 12.5.2 and Yosemite for months and it was VERY VERY stable.

Wished sometimes I had stayed there. Tons of film work and scoring with not problems.

I just found out after a complete erase and install of my internal HD on my Mac Pro by apple after sending it out for a week to test errors, (which included 2minutes to start up and would not shut down), on my Mac Pro Trash to figure out what was happening for weeks. It turns out that the problem was with my 1yr old LaCie 2big Thunderbolt™ 2 RAID External drive. Just sent it back for repair. LaCie support and Sweetwater support says it's probably a RAID hardware issue that can go bad quicker when you partition the HD.
So at least that's going to be handled and after thinking it was the 12.6.1 and Sierra software was the issue.
I discovered this on my own testing. Keep in mind the OS X Sierra had not installed anything after the reinstall and 2 days of testing my mac from apple, so it was totally clean.
So that is good news for me. Now I am installing 12.6.1 today and will file my report. I also have an extra 2Big that is a year older and it seems to run just fine and boots up on the desktop correctly.
So in the end, they warranty will either replace or repair the drive and should have it back in about 10 days is my guess with the holidays.
G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 01-01-2017, 11:49 AM

For us, 10.12 and PT 12.6.1 seems very, very stable.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post
The question becomes, if Cockos can do it, why can't Avid?
I think Cockos can be a tad more focused and has less overhead. http://www.cockos.com/team.php

I guess size matters.

But other than starting on Cakewalk 9.0 on a PC at Sonar 3, I moved to Pro Tools because most of my projects worked
in studios and they use Pro Tools. While I keep a current support plan, I am very slow to update/upgrade.
PT 2022.12 studio, Cubase 12 Pro, 12 Core Mac Pro 6,1 96GB OS X 12.6.6, Mac Mini i7 QC 16GB, Digico Soundgrid DLI, Revive Audio 96IO & 192 DBox & 2BussLT for summing, Waves, SoundToys and a pile of other plugins. NI Maschine/Komplete Ultimate 12 and many many, too many Kontakt Libraries.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmT..._as=subscriber

Last edited by LoudBassTone; 01-01-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
Yeah. I was on 12.5.2 and Yosemite for months and it was VERY VERY stable.

Wished sometimes I had stayed there. Tons of film work and scoring with not problems.

I just found out after a complete erase and install of my internal HD on my Mac Pro by apple after sending it out for a week to test errors, (which included 2minutes to start up and would not shut down), on my Mac Pro Trash to figure out what was happening for weeks. It turns out that the problem was with my 1yr old LaCie 2big Thunderbolt™ 2 RAID External drive. Just sent it back for repair. LaCie support and Sweetwater support says it's probably a RAID hardware issue that can go bad quicker when you partition the HD.
So at least that's going to be handled and after thinking it was the 12.6.1 and Sierra software was the issue.
I discovered this on my own testing. Keep in mind the OS X Sierra had not installed anything after the reinstall and 2 days of testing my mac from apple, so it was totally clean.
So that is good news for me. Now I am installing 12.6.1 today and will file my report. I also have an extra 2Big that is a year older and it seems to run just fine and boots up on the desktop correctly.
So in the end, they warranty will either replace or repair the drive and should have it back in about 10 days is my guess with the holidays.
G
I wonder how many people have basic hardware faults, badly configured systems. Systems not configured properly. Incompatible OS versions.... the list is endless and then get suckered in by the Avid is **** hate campaign rather than get to the real route of their problem.

There have no doubt been some issues but many have been fixed recently or are about to be.

Last edited by Marsdy; 01-02-2017 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I wonder how many people have basic hardware faults, badly configured systems. Systems not configured properly. Incompatible OS versions.... the list is endless and then get suckered in by the Avid is **** hate campaign rather than get to the real route of their problem.

Their have no doubt been some issues but many have been fixed recently or are about to be.
Yeah. here is one I read here recently..

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...er-v12-3-Notes

HD Driver v12.3 (and later) Notes
Avid has encountered an issue with HD driver v12.x installed with OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) or macOS 10.12 (Sierra), which prevents a restart or shutdown of the computer.

This issue has been resolved with HD Driver 12.6.1 (and later).
All entitled customers will find the installer in the Avid Master Account.

In order to support OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) and macOS 10.12 (Sierra), we had provided a temporary solution with
HD driver 12.3 to 12.6.
The consequence was, that HD interfaces did not work with 3rd-party DAWs on all supported OS versions with
Pro Tools 12.

If you plan to use HDX, HD Native or HD Native Thunderbolt interfaces with 3rd-party DAWs, please install
HD Driver 12.6.1 (or later), which provides Core Audio functionality.

If you plan to update your operating system, install the OS update first and then install Pro Tools and appropriate drivers.

The following issues have been fixed with HD Driver 12.6.1:

iTunes doesn’t work with HDX and HD Native interfaces on OS X 10.10, OS X 10.11 and macOS 10.12
Avid CoreAudio Manager breaks Native Instruments products on OS X 10.10, OS X 10.11 and macOS 10.12
Restart/Shutdown is prevented by CoreAudio component of the HD driver installed more info
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 01-02-2017, 02:29 AM

What are you upgrading from...
If it's 12.5 you'll need to check you have the correct license installed on your iLok.
Why not 12.7?

Mitch

MacPro 2.44 8 Core

Mac OSX 10.10.5
PT 12.7
HD Native
SyncHD I/O
HD I/O
MIDI I/O
C24
Aja LiHi
Surround Setup