Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 09-01-2021, 07:03 PM

Default Getting started with remote recording

I'm new to Pro Tools (just installed it) and I know that I have a lot to research and learn. But I'd like to ask for some simple advice on what the basic steps/requirements are for what I am trying to do. I don't want to spend too much time on the parts that aren't (yet) applicable.

• I'm a seasoned musician (acoustic bass) and software engineer, so I can read up and learn what I need to - as soon as I learn the "what"
  • I would like to record my bass, as a single track, that can be added and synchronized to a Pro Tools session at a remote recording studio.
  • I have a Mid 2015 MacBook Pro
  • I'll need a good mic (for acoustic bass) and an XLR->USB adapter - recommendations?
  • What do I need from the remote studio, tracks-wise (click track)?
  • How do I record a track that will be compatible with the master tracks?
Any suggestions, links to tutorials greatly appreciated.
Old 09-02-2021, 07:27 AM

Default Re: Getting started with remote recording

Since you are starting from essentially zero, here are my suggestions:
1-Skip the XLR-USB adapter and buy a "real" interface. What you choose depends on how many things you need to record at once. The Focusrite 2i2 or Presonus ioStation 24c: 2x2(check manufacturer websites for compatibility info) are 2 solid options. In any case, I suggest a minimum of 2 mic inputs and a headphone output.

2-As a seasoned acoustic bass player, you likely will be unhappy with most cheap mics, so plan on spending some money here. I've had great results with the Miktek CV-3 on upright bass. If budget does not allow that, the Miktek MK300 or Cascade Fathead II ribbon would be my next options. Protect your mics and they will last for decades(ribbon mics need extra care)

3-A click track will certainly be of value. Pro Tools has one built in(as do most DAW's) and get closed-back headphones so the click doesn't bleed into the mic. Over-the-ear is better than On-the-ear for isolation from bleed.

4-watch lots of tutorials on getting started with Pro Tools as there is a ton of stuff to learn. Youtube has a lot, but the quality is all over the map. Groove3.com is a paid site, but everyone I know that has joined has said its well worth it.

5-the toughest part of remote recording(once you know what you're doing) is dealing with questionable acoustics. And how you deal with that depends on what you are recording. Some tall boom stands(set the boom arm to form a "T") with moving blankets draped over are easy to place and easy to transport.

6-more stuff you need to have;
headphones for all players(closed back, matching and a way to share the headphone mix with everyone). If its only you and 1 other person, a headphone "Y" adapter will suffice. More people would call for a headphone distribution box($50 to several hundred). Samson makes one with 4 outputs(each with its own volume knob) that works fine. Always bring cables for everything(with an extra of each type as they will break). Last opinion; DO NOT buy cheap mic stands(because you will end up buying them again and again). K&M and D&R are brands that make stands that will last for years. $60 for a short/low boom and $70-80 for tall boom.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-02-2021, 08:20 AM

Default Re: Getting started with remote recording

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenyonson View Post
...added and synchronized to a Pro Tools session at a remote recording studio...
Albee nailed it above. Additional thought:
Have the studio send you 1)rough mix 2)click only (if they used a click). Record your overdub. Bounce only your od starting/ending exactly where the rough started/ended. The other studio will easily be able to import & line-up your track. This method works regardless of DAW i.e. you don't need PTools at both ends. To be nice, match the sample rate of the other studio if possible.

Now, if you're asking about real-time collaboration via internet - that's a whole other thing...
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume