Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 07-26-2021, 05:56 PM

Default Ready to upgrade - which version of Pro Tools?

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on my recent thread re: upgrading from Pro Tools 11.3.1 on Win 7 64 bit.

I've upgraded my PC, now running 16 GB RAM, a new 500 GB SSD (system), upgraded (second hand) silent graphics card.

I've cloned my current system drive and will remove that and keep it as a backup in case something goes amok.

I've decided to do a clean install of Windows 10 64 Home. I watched a video posted on YT by "jayz two cents", he runs through a fresh Win 10 install procedure from scratch using a USB flash drive.

Now, just deciding which version of Pro Tools to upgrade to - I bought a Reinstatement license, I believe that gives me access to the current release, and all previous releases.

Just wondering, have there been any standout Windows versions of Pro Tools released in the past year or two? Standout meaning reliable, stable, not overly resource hungry, good feature set.

Or should I just upgrade to the latest version?

Finally, is an NVidia graphics card essential, or can I get by with my second hand Asus Radeon HD6450 500 MB card?

Thanks.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Ready to upgrade - which version of Pro Tools?

PS, I'm running a Digi 002Rack + a Motor Mix control surface via the 002Rack's MIDI ports.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:48 PM

16gb ram is bare recommended minimum. All your ram sticks need to be identical, and another 8gb would be a real good idea. What motherboard/processor?
Current 002 drivers aren’t gonna happen, but rumor has it the 003 drivers (also at EOS) work just fine.
If you buy a new(er) version of Pro Tools, you’ll be getting 2021.6
Old 07-26-2021, 08:01 PM

Hi, the 003Rack driver works with 002Rack, at least it has been in Pro Tools 11.3.1

I bought 4 matching 4 GB sticks of Samsung DDR3-1600 PC3-12800U RAM, my old mobo (Asus P7P55D-E Pro) has a max. of 4 GB per DIMM slot.

Using an i5 quad core, 2.8 GHz, it's approx. 10 years old.

Last edited by Tubthumper; 07-26-2021 at 08:07 PM. Reason: added specs
Old 07-26-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
...I've decided to do a clean install of Windows 10 64 Home. ..

Hi – don’t do a “clean install” of Windows 10 – instead, use the previously mentioned “free upgrade from Windows 7 with all files intact”; install all necessary Drivers on Windows 7 first, before upgrading, because what works using this method won’t necessarily work with a “clean install”!
Quote:
...the 003Rack driver works with 002Rack, at least it has been in Pro Tools 11.3.1
Thanks - install the 003Rack driver in Windows 7

Quote:
...Now, just deciding which version of Pro Tools to upgrade to - I bought a Reinstatement license, I believe that gives me access to the current release, and all previous releases.

Just wondering, have there been any standout Windows versions of Pro Tools released in the past year or two? Standout meaning reliable, stable, not overly resource hungry, good feature set.

Or should I just upgrade to the latest version?

Some have gone back to earlier versions, but why not give 2021.6 a test?
If you need earlier versions:
Accessing Software Installers on the Avid Download Center
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...ownload-Center

Last edited by unkJE; 07-26-2021 at 08:16 PM. Reason: the 003Rack driver works with 002Rack
Old 07-26-2021, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
Hi – don’t do a “clean install” of Windows 10 – instead, use the previously mentioned “free upgrade from Windows 7 with all files intact”; install all necessary Drivers (002 & other hardware etc.) on Windows 7 first, before upgrading, because what works using this method won’t necessarily work with a “clean install”!
Hi mate, I thought about it and decided to try a clean install of Win 10, then install the drivers - I have the 003R driver and a USB-MIDI adapter driver, also the AMD Radeon driver. Then install a newer version of Pro Tools, then the VIs and plugins.

The only reason I made that decision was so that everything will be clean and up-to-date, the latest versions of VIs and plugins, with nothing lingering from the Win 7 install.

Still keen for any advice you might have for me.

Cheers.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:40 PM

By all means: give it a go!
That's the beauty of an extra drive ... test as many versions as you like!

Just read what Dave said in 2019:
Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
FWIW, I am running a 003 rack on Windows 10 with the latest 2015.5 version of PT(and its on a VIA firewire connection which traditionally doesn't work)
Old 07-26-2021, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Hi mate, I thought about it and decided to try a clean install of Win 10, then install the drivers - I have the 003R driver and a USB-MIDI adapter driver, also the AMD Radeon driver. Then install a newer version of Pro Tools, then the VIs and plugins.

The only reason I made that decision was so that everything will be clean and up-to-date, the latest versions of VIs and plugins, with nothing lingering from the Win 7 install...
Can't argue with the logic of a clean install (as long as it works!) - and it's easy to understand why many format their drive first, for a "really clean start"
Old 07-26-2021, 09:07 PM

Yeah, I thought I'd do that, Jay from jayztwocents recommends it in his Win 10 install video.

I'm on holidays next week, I've got some free time up my sleeve, looking forward to piss-farting around and seeing if I can get things up and running.

One PITA is going to be: paying Waves $240 USD for their WUP.... I reckon that'll work out to approx. $350 AUD. Ouch. I spent $430 AUD on the Pro Tools Reinstatement license as well.

And if it doesn't work, I'll replace the Win 10 drive with my old drive and revert to Pro Tools 11.3.1, that'll take a minute or two

Last edited by Tubthumper; 07-26-2021 at 09:27 PM. Reason: added info
Old 07-26-2021, 11:15 PM

Quote:
...One PITA is going to be: paying Waves $240 USD for their WUP.... I reckon that'll work out to approx. $350 AUD. Ouch. I spent $430 AUD on the Pro Tools Reinstatement license as well...
I don't bother about WUP
Waves lets you run "Legacy versions" - I've got V9 up to V12

For Waves v9, 10 and 11 installs – see BenoniStudio’s:
How to install Waves Legacy/v9 Plugins with Waves Central
https://youtu.be/cPEkk83dg8M

Can I run V9, V10 and V11 plugins on the same system?

https://www.waves.com/support/waves-...sked-questions

Will consider WUPing if & when my ship comes in ... but in the meantime, while

"Things is crook in Tallarook and there's no work in Bourke!" - there are more urgent priorities ...

Good luck for next week!

Last edited by unkJE; 07-26-2021 at 11:30 PM. Reason: you can run Waves Versions 9, 10, 11 and 12