Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 06-20-2021, 08:27 PM

Default M1 MacBook Pro and Midi keyboard issues

I wasn't sure where to put this question...

I just got a new MBP M1, as my ancient 2009 MacPro was starting to get weird disk errors and couldn't be upgraded any more so I couldn't even upgrade Protools.

For midi input, I have both an M-Audio Ozone and a Yamaha MOX8 that worked well with my Intel/MacPro and Protools. However, neither seem to be recognized by the new computer (I just dowloaded the latest BigSur compatible version of PT. I can't find the keyboards in the Audio/Midi setup either. It's like the MBP just doesn't see any midi.

Protools seems to be working ok and I even have some 3rd party VIs and plugins running such as Spectrasonics, Toontrack EZ line, and Guitar Rig 5. When I manually create midi notes on a VI, it produces sound from the track.

It must be something stupid I'm missing because I can't believe that after six months, the new M1 Macs can't receive midi. If anyone has a working midi keyboard with a MacBook Pro M1, let me know. I'll even buy a new midi keyboard if there's one that works...but it's probably just something stupid I forgot. Anyone have a similar situation and resolved it?

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 06-21-2021, 03:43 AM

Default Re: M1 MacBook Pro and Midi keyboard issues

Couple of things:
There's no version of PT that's been certified to run on the M1 Macs. And who knows when that will be.

Second: Grab the free utility snoize and install it. It will tell you what's coming into your computer on the MIDI stream. What are you using for a MIDI interface or are you daisy-chaining the MIDI connections from one keyboard to another and then on to the computer?

QAPLA!
Old 06-21-2021, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwilliam View Post
For midi input, I have both an M-Audio Ozone and a Yamaha MOX8 that worked well with my Intel/MacPro and Protools. However, neither seem to be recognized by the new computer (I just dowloaded the latest BigSur compatible version of PT. I can't find the keyboards in the Audio/Midi setup either. It's like the MBP just doesn't see any midi.
Does it show up in menu-Setup-MIDI-MIDI input devices?
Does it show up in "Instrument"-part of mixer window (together with inserts, sends etc)?
I assume the instrument track is rec-enabled.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:17 PM

Neither midi keyboard shows up in audio/midi setup. I tried adding a new midi instrument to the setup, but when testing, it didn't register. Yes, I rec-enabled the track. I set up an instrument track running an instance of Expand2, which plays back sound when I manually enter midi notes on the track. Just no input.

For the midi interface, it's been direct USB to USB on both keyboards, although I've been using an Insignia USB C hub which has USB A ports as well as HDMI, etc. I also tried the USB midi port on my Apogee Duet (which is working fine for audio on the M1 with PT).

It appears from my investigations that the M1 has an issue with many midi interfaces (for instance no MOTU interfaces work), so it's not just a PT problem. I have heard that bluetooth midi works, albeit with some latency, and someone else chimed in that an iConnectivity MIOxc (a simple DIN to USB cable) works, so I've ordered one and should have it in a day or so...I'll try it both directly in the MBP's USB-C port and if that works, then I'll try the hub.

FYI. Although I've only had the MBP a few days, so far, most things are working just fine through Rosetta2 (I was surprised). I even started adding 3rd party VIs like Toontrack EZline, and Spectrasonics (which just announced M1 compatibility) and Guitar Rig 5. All work just fine in PT 2021.3 (whatever the latest is). I will be downloading my Waves (and upgrading to v12, which is supposed to work with the M1) once I get midi working.

I realize the M1 is not supported by Avid, and they are one of the slowest to support new OSs and hardware, but with my 2009 MacPro beginning to fail, and not really upgradable past El Capitan, I needed to make a move. I couldn't upgrade PT past 2018.12 with that OS. I didn't feel an Intel Apple was a good long-term investment since the M1X will be out in the fall, and the M2 will be out early next year - so who knows how much longer Apple will continue to support those chips - I'm sure for at least a few more years, but I kept my last Mac for 12 years. Plus it is SOOOOO nice to have a computer that doesn't sound like a small airplane taking off when under load (the MBP with M1s have no fans - or you can't hear it at all.)

Thanks for the help. Any other suggestions would also be appreciated.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 06-21-2021, 02:48 PM

Don't worry about M1/Rosetta officially not supported. I tested a M1 mac mini for a couple of weeks and most things worked very well.

Have you some way to try midi input in an application other than PT, to see if it's a PT or a system problem? Jack suggested "snoize".
Old 06-21-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the help. Any other suggestions would also be appreciated.
Did you try snoize?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Don't worry about M1/Rosetta officially not supported. I tested a M1 mac mini for a couple of weeks and most things worked very well.

Have you some way to try midi input in an application other than PT, to see if it's a PT or a system problem? Jack suggested "snoize".
Snoize is invaluable when chasing MIDI issues om Macs. And for those on Windoze there's MIDI-OX.

QAPLA!
Old 06-21-2021, 03:09 PM

I'll try snoize tonight. Thanks.

Besides PT, I also run Logic Pro X and Studio One. All 3 apps are running fine for the little bit of testing I've done. Studio One and PT are through Rosetta2 and Logic Pro X is native to the M1 (and I have to admit, very fast because of that). Neither of the other two are recognizing midi input from external devices either. I haven't even fired up GarageBand, but I'm sure it's no different from Logic Pro X for input.

The Apple forum is having a discussion on the M1 and midi issues, which is where I got the iConnectivity mioXC cable option to try. If nothing works, I can always return it to the Apple Store. There is a 30 day return policy. Fortunately, I'm not using it for client work at the moment.

Old 06-21-2021, 04:40 PM

I downloaded snoize - to both my new M1 MBP and my old MacPro. I plug the Ozone and the MOX8 into my MacPro USB ports on the front and it sees both of them. Lots of midi traffic, including the notes I play.

I took the same cables and plugged them into the USB ports in the MBP (via a USB C to USB A hub, and nothing, nada. The hub is working with my Apogee Duet for audio just fine, and also has my 2 iloks via an Anker USB A hub. They work just fine as well.

So the two midi keyboards are outputting midi data. The M1 just isn't reading it.
I'll see how the iConnectivity cable does tomorrow (hopefully it will arrive tomorrow).

Thanks again!

Old 06-22-2021, 09:36 AM

FIXED! My M1 MBP is now accepting midi from both of my midi keyboards!

I got the iConnectivity mioXC for $49 at Sweetwater. I hooked it up and it works like a charm!

I have to admit that I checked Studio One first, then Protools, then Logic Pro X and all three are getting midi data from both keyboards (I switched the cable, so only one at a time).

Even though not supported by Avid yet, the system is working. I sure didn't want to return my new laptop...now onto further testing - see how much processing power this little puppy has in the real world.

Old 06-22-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
FIXED! My M1 MBP is now accepting midi from both of my midi keyboards!

I got the iConnectivity mioXC for $49 at Sweetwater. I hooked it up and it works like a charm!

I have to admit that I checked Studio One first, then Protools, then Logic Pro X and all three are getting midi data from both keyboards (I switched the cable, so only one at a time).

Even though not supported by Avid yet, the system is working. I sure didn't want to return my new laptop...now onto further testing - see how much processing power this little puppy has in the real world.
Glad you were able to get it sorted. Good luck with the M1 and keep us in the loop as to how you're doing (maybe start a new thread on it).

QAPLA!