Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-12-2002, 03:59 PM

Default Acoustic expander pluggin

Ok I love what an acoustic expander does to the sound of a mix for the most part but I have no Idea what it is really doing? Can anyone explain it and does an acoustic expander pluggin exsist for Protools LE?
Thanks,
Bob
Old 02-12-2002, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Acoustic expander pluggin

Is that like the BBE Sonic Maximizer? A fellow engineer has one, and for the life of me I can't remember the model number. But I know for sure it's a BBE, and it sounds pretty cool. My buddy says it separates the frequencies around 8khz and then applies some type of shaping to the low side. Then it attenuates one of the signals, or something like that. Anyway, if it's the same beast I can find out with a quick phone call tonight.

http://www.gidakdigital.com
Old 02-12-2002, 04:28 PM

I really didn't have any one model in mind but I bet they all work somewhat the same. I know that most mastering houses use some form of them and lots of higher end home systems have them included. Like my JBL stuff. Thanks for the help any info that you can give would be great!!!
Old 02-12-2002, 10:10 PM

I think you're thinking of a Sonic Enhancer, Maximizer, or exciter. Usually these create or correct harmomics of frequencies that either don't exist, or have been lost. It's sort of artifical, but, with the BBE for example, they usually claim that it restores the frequencies to their intended state.

They do always sound impressive at first... a lot of "wow factor", but there's something not quite right about it... something artificial, to me anyway.

As far as plug-ins, the only thing like this I can think of is Waves' Maxbass, but this only creates harmonics on the low end. I think Aphex might make a version of their famed Aural Exciter, not sure.