Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2008, 10:21 AM

Default No digital Audition outputs?

Is it true? I can't seem to set up an output to audition audiosuites because my monitors are coming out of an aes output on my 192 and the only options seem to be stereo out 1 and 2 analog? what gives?
Old 11-18-2008, 10:26 AM

Default Re: No digital Audition outputs?

It works fine for me using aes, but I do have my aes outs set up as outs 1-2 on my 192 in hardware setup.

If there's a limitation to using outputs 1-2 for audition you could just change your routing in hardware setup so that the aes outs are 1-2. Having 1-2 as your main monitor path is also useful when you're moving projects back and forth between studios....
Old 11-18-2008, 10:49 AM

No mine only lets me have them be analog 1 and 2 not even digital 1 and 2. I suppose that means I'll have to do analog 1 and 2 and add the digital encl aes outs as my mains as opposed to other aes outs.

thanks for the thought SR
Old 11-18-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilano View Post
No mine only lets me have them be analog 1 and 2 not even digital 1 and 2.
If your interface is a Digidesign 192 I/O (or, I suppose, a 96 I/O), you can indeed change the order/nature of the outputs as needed. You do this in the “Hardware Setup” window (as well as the “I/O Setup”). Pick what suits your needs for each pair of outputs. The only constraint, when it comes to audition paths, is that those be selected from among the first eight channels on the first interface connected to a system.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 11-18-2008, 12:22 PM

No, on my setup it only lets me select digital if its the encosure outputs, it wont let me select other AES outputs. And, if the enclosure outputs are part of a 5.1 output set, it won't let me select the LR of that set even if the LR is the enclosure. So in order to audition things I have to open up the I/O each time and turn off my 5.1 output and turn on my stereo digital enclosure output. and then reset it back when I'm done.

MAJOR PAIN!
Old 11-18-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
No, on my setup it only lets me select digital if its the encosure outputs, it wont let me select other AES outputs. And, if the enclosure outputs are part of a 5.1 output set, it won't let me select the LR of that set even if the LR is the enclosure. So in order to audition things I have to open up the I/O each time and turn off my 5.1 output and turn on my stereo digital enclosure output. and then reset it back when I'm done.

MAJOR PAIN!
Another major pain, is trying to help solve problems whose description is accompanied by minimal to non-existent setup & workflow details, thereby triggering yet another bout of the old “going around in circles until the picture is clear” boogie. Unnecessary, me thinks — yet all too common.

I’m trying…

Old 11-18-2008, 01:23 PM

Yep, I agree, its a doozy to explain in writing for sure. I appreciate the effort anyway. I'll figure it out somehow...
Old 12-11-2008, 06:03 AM

Quote:

MAJOR PAIN!
Occasionally I revisit older threads to see whether issues were resolved. Reading the quoted post again, somehow made (more) sense this time.

My original advice in the thread remains correct.

“The only constraint, when it comes to audition paths, is that those be selected from among the first eight channels on the first interface connected to a system.”

The reason you are not able to select a digital output for the first four pairs is that… they’re already assigned to pairs 5 through 8. In your hardware Setup…

a) Set output pairs 5–8 to “none.”
b) now assign output pairs 1–4 to your choice of digital.
c) Assign analog paths among output pairs 5–8, as needed.

In essence, you’re swapping the order of analog and digital outs on your interface. Digidesign’s 192 I/O interfaces have Ins and Outs 1–8 default to analog, but users are free to change that as needed.

And finally, you may need to rearrange some of your Inputs if your old routing scheme included any Inserts in its configuration.

IHTH.