Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 09:02 AM

Default Tons and Tons of Outboard Gear

Ok so heres the deal, I have a ton of outboard gear that I want to hook up. I do know that you have to connect and unused output on the digi001 to an input on the external effect and then output on the external effect to and unused input on the digi001. But If all of my I/Os are being used by outboard gear how can I record audio into my system?? Would I need to a patchbay to hook up all of my outboard gear and still be able to record 16 tracks simultaneously? Pretty much I want to use all of my rack effects and still be able to record 16 tracks. I have my system setup like this: Tracks 1-8(digi001) and 9-16(adat) 17/18(s/pdif, masterlink and da-20). Someone please help...I don't want to see of of this outboard gear go to waste. Thanks.

-Tom
Old 06-13-2007, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Tons and Tons of Outboard Gear

Tom ,
According to your system setup description...you are unfortunately out of IO capacity.
You could..:
1) record without having the outboard hooked up ( reverse the scenario for mixing). Yes, in this case a patchbay would be handy to quickly route ins and outs.
2) switch to a bigger system with expandable IO room. (PT HD ?)

goodluck,
a

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 06-13-2007, 03:45 PM

I debated chiming in on this as I don't wish to put you off, but since no one else is offering advice, I will try to be kind and well-meaning. Lots of toys does not mean great results. Mastering what you have, does. My suggestion(based upon your statement of not knowing how to use it all) is to not use it all. Simplify. Aside from using external mic pre's, which you are doing already, I would skip all analog external boxes UNLESS; you have some very high-quality units that will add some classic quality to your projects. I am refering to something like vintage Pultecs, LA-2A, Lexicon 480L, etc. If you have things like DBX 166, Behringer Composer and the like, fusing external devices is a mixed blessing due to adding conversion stages and the latency that goes with them. There are lots of really good plugins that will be equal or better than all but the most prized analog gear. SOme like to mix down thru an analog mixer. I have no problem with that when you are talking about mixing thru a vintage Neve or API console. When you are talking Mackie and the like, I would much rather mix "in the box"(no external processing). mixing 24 bit to your Masterlink is certainly a valid idea and I would probably bounce to disk AND record the the Masterlink at the same time. Great for backups and for comparison of final product. That's one person's opinion only and you can talk or leave my advice.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-13-2007, 04:16 PM

Thanks for the advice, I do have alot of high end outboard gear: TC Electronics Finalizer, Eventide H4000, Stereo Avalon AD 2044, Manley Compressor...no behringer hahaha. I have a ton of plug ins(mcdsp emerald bundle, waves ssl4000 etc) but there is no exception for some of this outboard gear. I guess I need a patchbay....any tips on how to rig that bad boy up?? thanks again
Old 06-14-2007, 01:18 AM

Get a Bantam / TT Patchbay and hire someone in to solder it in for you.

Anyone that is advertising themselves as capable of soldering the patchbay should be fine for deciding the layout, there are some standard conventions that most people stick to…

It not the most complicated job, but from the questions you are asking, I really think you should get someone in to handle this for you…

Mind you, personally I still wouldn’t use any of that outboard you mentioned on inserts without upgrading your AD/DA, the cost is too high (sonically) the converters on the 001 are far from good…

N
Old 06-14-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
...I would skip all analog external boxes UNLESS; you have some very high-quality units that will add some classic quality to your projects...
I agree. Plugs and staying in-the-box avoids problems like unnecessary AD/DA conversions, scratchy patches, scratchy pots, finicky units, etc. In-the-box also provides some workflow advantages, like automation of every parameter, and total recall. The best plugs sound quite good too, if you are careful with gain-staging and know how to mix. I've had the good luck to use a lot of high-end hardware in several studios over the years, and yes it's all good. I prefer the speed and reliability of staying in-the-box. My 2 cents.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 06-14-2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, I do have alot of high end outboard gear: TC Electronics Finalizer, Eventide H4000, Stereo Avalon AD 2044, Manley Compressor...no behringer hahaha. I have a ton of plug ins(mcdsp emerald bundle, waves ssl4000 etc) but there is no exception for some of this outboard gear. I guess I need a patchbay....any tips on how to rig that bad boy up?? thanks again
OK, I can't help myself....

You obviously have more money than brains!
Why the hell would you buy gear like that..... A) not knowing how to plug it in, and... B) To use it with a DIGI001????

Do you actually know how to mix? Or did you read about it on a box of Cornflakes?
Old 06-15-2007, 08:06 AM

Quote:

OK, I can't help myself....

You obviously have more money than brains!
Why the hell would you buy gear like that..... A) not knowing how to plug it in, and... B) To use it with a DIGI001????

Do you actually know how to mix? Or did you read about it on a box of Cornflakes?
A) The outboard was given to me from a widow of a family member, So I did not buy it all.... B) I don't have a lot of money thus way i use a digi001...I would like to upgrade to better system someday but this works for now. I asked a simple question on how to hook it all up and I get a rude and ignorant response, Everyone else has been really helpful, But you, I suppose you are a Nationally Certified Protools Engineer right??. This is a Support forum...not a Trash Users with Questions forum.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:38 PM

Dude, if that is true, then I apologise.
But if that is true, then you are a one-in-a-million case.
I see way too many "too much money not enough knowledge" cases on these boards to not be cynical.

Maybe a better way to phrase you initial question would be... "I've inherited an X, an X and an X, and would like to know the best way to hook it up to my 001."
Then I would have said "WOW, you lucky bastard. Try ... bla bla bla..."

And no, I'm not a professional. If I was I'd be hanging around in the HD forum.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:24 AM

Quote:
And no, I'm not a professional. If I was I'd be hanging around in the HD forum.
Or Sonar or Nuendo or Logic forums.