Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2005, 10:20 AM

Default Standalone CoreAudio Driver (Tiger) can\'t see 002R

I updated to Tiger and installed the Standalone CoreAudio Driver 6.9.2cs2. As a result my 002R (free from power harness problems) cannot be seen by Digi's CoreAudio Manager application, can't be selected as an I/O device, and can't be used. I've tried all the permutations of preference deleting, permission repairing, and reinstalling. I've seen and appreciated the sticky "Troubleshooting" FAQ but unfortunately it didn't help.

I have seen DUC posts from 2 other LE users so far (both with MBox) claiming the same symptoms after updating to tiger and 6.9cs2. Here's what I get from CoreAudio Manager:

Digidesign HW: Unsupported Device
Channels: N/A
Attached Clients: 0
Buffer Size: 512 (disabled)
All UI is disabled except Prefs, Connect, and Quit. Clicking Connect results in nothing happening. There is no error reported but the UI stays in the same disconnected state.

Keep in mind this reflects the behavior after I deleted /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist.. The digi CoreAudio Manager was formerly reporting accurate details about my 002 rack under Tiger (such as that it was a 002 rack). I hoped this was evidence that the app was at least "seeing" the hardware but then I realized It was just picking up stale data from /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist left over from last friday, when I was still blissfully running 10.3.8 and the 002 still slept in the bedroom. Now it sleeps on the couch.

I've tried 2 different firewire cables, both known to work with other devices. Apple System Profiler can see the 002 on the firewire port and query basic info about it. Digidesign CoreAudio Manager cannot.

I have seen examples of other people being very satisfied with this new driver so it's hard to imagine there isn't a workaround here. I'm hoping the issue is related to the fact that it's been quite awhile since I've run an actual pro tools installer (i bought the 002r to run Logic on years ago, i'm too lazy to continually order new pro tools cds as a proactive keep-my-002-firmware-up-to-date measure, hey how about putting a complete pro tools 6.9 le installer up for download)

Is there a combination of buttons on the front panel that I can hold to reset my 002R's firmware? Does anyone have ideas on what could be wrong with my configuration?

Thanks in advance.
Jon Gamble
Old 09-11-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Standalone CoreAudio Driver (Tiger) can\'t see 002R

I figured out what was going on here.

I had an outdated version of Pro Tools 6.4 LE installed. Removing this and reinstalling the core audio standalone driver solved the problem. Steps to reproduce the undesired behavior look like:

1. Install Pro Tools LE 6.4 on a 10.3 system
2. Update to tiger
3. Install the standalone tiger coreaudio driver.

Result - inability to use 002 as an audio device from any application.

Doesn't bite Pro Tools users so this is not a big concern for digi. However, I'm not sure inclusion of the term "Standalone" implies "delete all Pro Tools from your system before installing this driver". A big warning on the download page would be nice (assuming the failure is reproducible by others).
Old 09-11-2005, 01:49 PM

one last thing, thanks to "auke" for discovering the workaround!
Old 09-11-2005, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I figured out what was going on here.

I had an outdated version of Pro Tools 6.4 LE installed. Removing this and reinstalling the core audio standalone driver solved the problem. Steps to reproduce the undesired behavior look like:

1. Install Pro Tools LE 6.4 on a 10.3 system
2. Update to tiger
3. Install the standalone tiger coreaudio driver.

Result - inability to use 002 as an audio device from any application.

Doesn't bite Pro Tools users so this is not a big concern for digi. However, I'm not sure inclusion of the term "Standalone" implies "delete all Pro Tools from your system before installing this driver". A big warning on the download page would be nice (assuming the failure is reproducible by others).
This sounds like it is a likely problem that I would guess we did not test for with the Standalone CoreAdio installer, leftover components of an incompatible verson of Pro Tools on a Tiger system.

Per your suggestion, for the time being we have added the following warning on the standalone installer download page:
Quote:
If you have either Pro Tools TDM 6.9 or lower or Pro Tools LE 6.9 or lower (which will not run on Tiger) installed on your system, you should uninstall Pro Tools from your Tiger startup system before using the Standalone Digidesign CoreAudio Driver installer. To uninstall Pro Tools, insert your Pro Tools CD, run the "Install Pro Tools" application, and choose Uninstall from the menu instead of Custom Install or Easy Install. Pro Tools application web updaters (except for CS versions) also have the Install/Uninstall menu.