Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 06-06-2017, 02:35 PM

Default Mapping VMPK Keys to XPand2

I'm trying to map my computer keyboard to the keys on VMPK and then map which VMPK keys trigger specific drum sounds on XPand2 in PT. I've done this successfully once before, but I must have been somewhere else mentally because I don't have the slightest clue how I got it to work!!

I have VMPK setup as the MIDI Controller in PT prefs and I created a Stereo Instrument track with XPand2 as an insert. I can get it to play sounds, but I can figure out how to map the XPand2 samples to corresponding key on VMPK. I'm pretty sure that I forgot one simple step.

Can someone please help me out with this? It's driving me off the wall. Thanks so much.
Old 06-07-2022, 04:41 AM

Default Mapping MIDI keys

Is it possible to map keys on a MIDI controller to specific drum kit elements in Xpand2! I have an AKAI MIDI controller with a 2 octave keyboard and it has 8 pads. I want to use the keys for kick, snare, toms, etc., and not the pads. When I select any drum kit in Xpand2!, it always defaults a number of the kit elements to the pads, and/or it seems to randomly assign different elements of the kit to different keys. I want to map the kick to the middle C and the snare to D, etc. Is there a way to do this, or am I stuck with the kit assignments I get with each kit selection?
Old 06-07-2022, 05:10 AM

Default Re: Mapping VMPK Keys to XPand2

Did you ever figure this out? I'm trying to do the same thing with an AKAI controller.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Mapping VMPK Keys to XPand2

Thanks Robruce. I'll see what I can do with this.