Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-24-2015, 09:09 AM

Default Re: 10 things I would do if I were the CEO of Avid...

My response is in my new sig.
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:52 AM

This rollout should get someone fired but it won't.

The last thing you want is a customer giving you their money for a product that you then cannot deliver.

This bit about "converting" licenses is crap. Was this whole thing a surprise? Someone just showed up hungover Monday morning and hit the "go" button? They claim there are so many SKUs that they have to manually check them out in batches?

Add to that the idiocy of hiding the install files - presumably in some bid to prevent "hackers" from getting a copy.

Since Apple came up, here's a story about how meticulously they manage the customer's first interaction with a new product. It's called the "unboxing" experience and it's something more and more companies are paying attention to.

Except, once again, this one, which prefers to blame its customers and the economy and anybody else they can think of for their repeated inability to deliver.

Way to go team. </s>

ps - notwithstanding the efforts of some volunteer mods here to try and make a difference - thanks guys

pps - shame on you Marianna - you show up on one thread to threaten people who saw a beta of your software at trade shows then disappear again

http://mashable.com/2012/01/24/apple-unboxing-room/
Old 03-24-2015, 11:02 AM

The way Avid do business, their "vision", was seen few years ago when they dismissed the core of Sibelius developers....t
Old 03-24-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarqu1 View Post
1. I would realize that I have a beautiful software, adored by many but quickly becoming obsolete by the competition.
I work for radio most of the time, creating music mix shows, editing audio a lot etc.. What app do you think is superior to Pro Tools when it comes to these tasks? Editing audio, timestretching, importing session data, the whole automation, the plug-ins, the stability etc.
I am curious as I do it all in the box, no external Pioneer DJ Equipment or the like. For me personally I see no competition and I tried a lot of apps.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:12 PM

I rarely come here these days but someone told me about this thread so I made a special trip.

+1000000000000000000000

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:34 PM

Depending on your definition of "importing session data" there are quite a few products that do it at least as well, if not better. I use Samplitude quite a bit and it's a far better editor, solid, uses the enormous VST plugin library, does timestretching (at the object level), and is stable.

It imports MP3 and audio data flawlessly, MIDI of course, and also imports AAF. But if you want it to import Pro Tools sessions, no it doesn't. You need Pro Tools for that.

Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver M View Post
I work for radio most of the time, creating music mix shows, editing audio a lot etc.. What app do you think is superior to Pro Tools when it comes to these tasks? Editing audio, timestretching, importing session data, the whole automation, the plug-ins, the stability etc.
I am curious as I do it all in the box, no external Pioneer DJ Equipment or the like. For me personally I see no competition and I tried a lot of apps.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
Depending on your definition of "importing session data" there are quite a few products that do it at least as well, if not better. I use Samplitude quite a bit and it's a far better editor, solid, uses the enormous VST plugin library, does timestretching (at the object level), and is stable.

It imports MP3 and audio data flawlessly, MIDI of course, and also imports AAF. But if you want it to import Pro Tools sessions, no it doesn't. You need Pro Tools for that.

Dean
MP3?
VST?
Alright, no further comment, thx though.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver M View Post
Oliver, I couldn't recommend a great solution for you, because I don't work in a fast pace environment like radio, and i don't know enough DAWs to compare and contrast. I do believe several other DAWS could work.

But you speak to my point. Pro Tools has the respect of many professionals who feel they are faced with an ultimatum. I say, Avid should use their clout and loyalty to crush their competition, not bleed their customers.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:09 PM

Those 10 points are really spot on I think.

I am not convinced anything on this forum actually makes it to the powers that be at Avid.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarqu1 View Post
Pro Tools has the respect of many professionals who feel they are faced with an ultimatum. I say, Avid should use their clout and loyalty to crush their competition, not bleed their customers.
^^^^
This!

AVID, I have made MY decision.
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.